Barley question

Have I got a chance of getting mature barley in upstate New York, planted a bit over a week ago, and already an inch high? The packet information says "90 days", so I'm hoping for a late fall... the idea is to get enough for seed stock to plant enough to malt for next year... Hey, I plan big, if not well.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at

Gary Woods

Hey, what difference would any of our answers make? You gonna plow it up if someone says "no"? I bet not. You want to know if you have a chance. Why not? Maybe (oh, geez) a long, hot summer is coming for the right coast. "90 days" is an average -- plants don't come with calendars. If frost comes before plants are mature, they might make a good 'green manure' and a reminder to plant earlier next year. Cheers!

Reply to
Frogleg

It's only July 4 (Happy July 4th!). July, August, September: providing you don't get a frost in September, it looks to me as if you've got a good chance of success.

Our first frost here (similar climate to yours) has been October 8 both of the two years we've lived here.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

I have tried this a few times and the rodents always got my crop. They have radar when it comes to finding small quantities of grain seed. Look carefully if and when the seed heads form as you will not even know they are missing. My rats are sneaky little bastards. Think you are a little late for this year but give it a try. Perhaps barley can take a few light frosts. A lot of barley is grown in Scandinavia. I also malt my own barley for brewing and it does work. Suggest you buy a bag of untreated seed barley in the fall.

Farmer John VA3JQ Barry's Bay Ontario

Reply to
Fudge

Gary, I tried some scapes the other night, stir fried with a bunch of other vegetables and they were inedible! How do I do it right? How much of the stem? any? do you peel the scapes? Did I get them too late? is there a window?

Thanks, I was so sure I was cooking something gourmet and wonderful and was disappointed. The flavor was delicious, but they were tough as nails.

susan

Reply to
Setzler

Not Gary, but you know I tried adding my scapes to stir-fry's on other folks recomendation and I too found them tough. They had a nice taste but I hated the texture.

jc

Reply to
Joanne

way way too late. I picked them one month ago in Michigan. They stay soft about one week. In fact you should pick them as soon as you recognize the scape, possibly before they do a 360.

Reply to
simy1

Gary was at a "healthy living" class.... sorry!

Sounds like the scapes were much too old, as others have said. I always cut off the papery tip above the "bud" because there's not much substance there. Which reminds me; I need to stir-fry a batch for myself; gave most of them away, and still have lots of the pesto frozen in cubes.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at

Gary Woods

I usually picked them within 1 week of appearing, was that too late? Saw nothing "papery" above the bud, just the casing or "tail" of what would eventually have become the flower (did that make sence?).

Thanks.

jcm

Toronto, Canada Canadian zone 6, U.S. zone is apparently 4b

Thanks to global warming it's bloody hot here!

Reply to
Joanne

Ok, and thanks every body. Guess I'll have to watch better next year!!

susan

Gary Woods wrote:

Reply to
Setzler