Garden Shed

Does anyone know of a site that I could download the plans of how to build a garden shed? Free if possible? Thanks for any advise.

Reply to
Anonymous

Do a Google search - they're all over the place.

Doug Miller

Try this (not just shed plans).

Good luck!

Amateur Woodworker Archive Free Projects Free Woodworking Plans New Yankee Workshop plans Woodworking Plans - Immediate Download - PlansNOW.com Woodworking Plans WOODWORKING PLANS AND PROJECTS La Portable Free Woodworking Plans and Projects at Free Woodworking Plans . info and Free Woodworking Plan HM DIFFUSION ShopNotes Magazine plans.com WoodcraftPlans.com WoodWorking pontoon boat plans free Child's Chair

S.B.

Reply to
SBO

If you stop and think about it, the most economical design of a garden shed is dictated by std lumber sizes, especially 4x8 sheets of plywood.

Can you build a shed in your area that is 96" high to the eave?

If you can, it makes things simple.

Are you going to keep it portable so footers are not required and the gov't in your area has a much more limited control of your options?

What are you going to keep in this shed?

How big does the floor area need to be?

It is pretty straight forward if you first define your needs.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Other have mentioned some important points you need to consider and I'll add a couple. It depends on where you live (tornado alley or the northeast) but some local codes require that hurricane straps and/or tie-downs be used in the design to keep the shed from blowing away - good idea.

Although I live in upstate NY and the local code does not require these items, I included them when I built mine. The materials probably cost an extra $50 and a bit more labor but I believe it saved me a whole lot of grief. The year after I built it, we had a freak storm go thru this area (Syracuse, NY) on Sept 4 that killed several people at the Fairgrounds and we had wind gusts in excess of 100 mph. That wind was broadside to the shed and if it had not been secured, I'm sure it would have landed about in the middle of our dining room.

Two other wooden sheds in the immediate neighborhood were turned to rubble which were about the same size, so I have no doubt in my mind that the hurricane straps (wall to roof joists) and the tie-downs (two cables run thru the base and secured into two cement pilings anchored 3' down) saved the day. The shed frame was put together using coated screws - not nails - so when the wind did try to lift the roof, it was not about to pull some nails out of headers and let it fly.

Overkill? I don't think so but others may disagree.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Reply to
Anonymous

Hi BobS, I live in Scotland; Glasgow to be precise. No hurricanes but plenty of RAIN, RAIN, RAIN.

Reply to
Anonymous

Here's one that I used for "inspiration":

have some other's on their website as well. Cheers, cc

ps. Been to Glasgow a few times and you're right....rain, rain, rain!

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

> They have some other's on their website as well.

That link seems like a good place to start. I built mine following similar steps. It was my first real construction undertaking. Your confidence will build as you go along. I took my time and really had fun with it. Here is the evolution... Mark

Mark

Hi Mark, I had a look at you Web-Site and was very impressed, I can see you have put a lot of work into it. Unfortunately I couldn't look at all of the photos for some reason? Some of the pages only showed me your comments and an X was where the photo should have been? Mark I think I have been misleading in my post. I want to try and build a Garden HUT not the big beautiful SHED that you have built, I'm a bit to old for that kind of work and anyway I don't have the expertise for a project as grand as yours, not to mention the workshop or the tools. Mark your furniture project's were first-class and if you do a bit of advertising you would get a lot of work and repeat orders. All the best. Ps, The family photos were lovely. ===========

Reply to
Anonymous