Garage ceiling ideas? (drywall, plywood, etc?)

Paint it afterwards. Get an extended handle for a paint roller, put the paint tray on the floor and go to it. It is not that bad of a job. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

why not avoid all the hassles and do it with foam board ...mjh

-- mike hide

Reply to
Mike Hide

On 22 Sep 2003 15:43:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ryan) wrote: agging? How about OSB?

I'm all for having a job look good but if this was _my_ workshop, I'd remind myself that it is my _workshop._ The point of the drywall is light reflection, sound dampening and a cheap means to hold up insulation. I'd prepaint the drywall a nice bright white, insulate between the rafters and screw the drywall up to the ceiling. Done. No tape, no mud, no sanding. Time to work wood.

By the time you're done hanging lights, jigs, bar clamps, and that gloat cache of unobtainium wood you were lucky enough to find and need to dry, you'll never see the seems anyway. ;>

My 2 cents, and worth every penny, Michael Baglio

Reply to
Michael Baglio

I did my garage ceiling using tongue in groove porch flooring. I then stained it. It looks absolutely fantastic.

Reply to
Thomas Halay

Because some people want a more finished look. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

How about 1/4 inch hardboard? Cheap stuff, and feels pretty sturdy.

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

I did not see any vinyl coated hardboard at Menards. All they had was regular hardboard. The 1/4 stuff was around $5 per 4x8 sheet.

Does your ceiling show any sagging at all? Does the vinyl give it any more strength? If not, and your 1/4 stuff works ok, I might just get the regular 1/4 hardboard, paint it and put it up.

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

It WILL sag! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

May be late but what about the Glass-X panels they put on the walls/ceilings of car washes and restrooms and kitchens? It can be washed, wiped off and is generally regarded as fire proof (resistant).It also ha s a pebble finish, is very bright so will help light up garage, etc.. Good stuff.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I know the product, but where do you look for it, and what should you expect to pay?

Rob

----------------------------

"Lawrence A. Ramsey" wrote ...

Reply to
Specter

Go to your hardware/buiding supply store. They can order it. An interior decorator might also be another source.It is very reasonable sine you don't have to mud it, sand and prime and paint. Also good for water that gets splashed up on it.Since it is fiberglass, be SURE to wear a respirator and eye protection.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Hi Ryan, Is this shop attached to your house ? you said you have cars in it , Lawnmowers , other flammables? Think about it . You have a lot of money invested ,why skimp ? Safety IS a big factor, ALL the other alternatives to a sheetrock ceiling are very dangerous ,the smoke ,and hazardous fumes from them will kill you.

This is the BEST advice that was given to you about the project : If you plan on spending any time or storing any of the usual finishing fluids in your shop, you should use 5/8 or 3/4 drywall.

5/8 is usual code for a fire barrier between garage and house. It may help contain any fires until help got there. The other materials recommended are all fairly flammable. just my $.02, Myx

-Ryan

Reply to
W. W.

Initially got mine from Home Depot, but got the majority of it from McEwan Lumber in Tucson. I think Lowes also has this.

My ceiling is a trussed ceiling and did not show any signs of sagging either before or after installation. I'm not sure how old the shop building is, I'm guessing at better than 10 years old (it was here when I moved in 4 years ago).

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

If you are talking about the 1/4 hardboard, I'm not sure how, being fastened down on 24" centers, there is going to be much sag possible unless it ever gets wet. There is moderate bowing that may occur, but this is pretty minimal as well.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Put OSB on all my walls. Used joint compound and a 12" blade to prepare the OSB for paint. (After installation). Goes very fast. About 1-2 minutes per sheet. Save a lot of money on paint. Can drive nails, screws anywhere to hang tools, conduit etc.

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Drywall = fire resistant. I have that on walls too for that reason

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to Mark & Juanita, Don Clark wrote: How has the vinyl bead board ceiling hold up I?m about to do the same thing

Reply to
Don Clark