Frosting transparent polycarbonate ?

Hello. I am turning some transparent polycarbonate rods (1" thick) and shaping them into hollow shells to each house a lamp unit. To evenly distribute the lamp nicely, how can I frost the outside of the polycarbonate ? Sandblasting ? Please advice.

Thank you, Marcel

Reply to
Marcel Gonzalez

Definatly wouldn't be sand blasting although blasting with soda might work. Sand would be way to aggressive and generates heat, not what plastics want to see.

The solvent used to 'weld' acrylics produces a frosted appearance until you buff it out, but not sure how evenly you could make it look. To try it you would have to pour or spray it on, certainly don't rag it or brush it on. When I have done projects, anywhere I ran too much liquid and it ran out onto the project it dried with a frosted look. If I tried to wipe the excess off I made a hell of a mess with lint etc, found it best to leave it to dry then buff it off.

My only other thought would be using 400 grit wet/dry (black carbide paper). It leaves plastics very white but smooth.

Greg

Sandblasting ?

Reply to
Greg Moore

I have made a couple of lamps using plexiglass. I started with clear plexiglass and then sanded it on one side with my random orbit sander with some fine (220 I think) sandpaper. It "frosted" it nicely. You might want to try some tests on scrap.

Dale

Reply to
Dale

Sandblasting ?

Reply to
CW

Sandblasting ?

sandblasting is the easiest way, if you have access to the equipment.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer