Transparent Wood

Wow!!! that is really cool! Here is to hoping it becomes available at an affordable price.

It could potentially replace plastic??

Reply to
Leon

Sounds like you can make it yourself. H2O2 + marine epoxy + vacuum bag.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Is that anything like transparent aluminum?

Reply to
krw

Is opaque wood anything like opaque aluminum. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"Many different types of wood, from balsa to oak, can be made transparent..."

Does transparent balsa look any different than transparent oak?

"...and it doesn't matter if it is cut along the grain or against it."

If we can't see the grain, then we better make sure our combination blades are sharp.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

In case it was missed, the reference to "transparent aluminum" is from Star Trek IV.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

In case it was missed, "transparent aluminum" (ALON) is a real thing.

Here's something from the past and the present...

DerbyDad03

What concentration of H2O2? It's pretty hard to get more than a 3% solution. B*mb stuff, ya know.

Reply to
krw

Do you really think an * is going to help?

H202 and B*mb in the same post. Nah...they'll never even notice. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I use H2O2 for mouthwash too. ;-)

Reply to
krw

That is the bomb!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Rocket fuel.

Propellant-grade hydrogen peroxide is available to qualified buyers. In typical circumstances, this chemical is sold only to companies or government institutions that have the ability to properly handle and utilize the material. Non-professionals have purchased hydrogen peroxide of 70% or lower concentration (the remaining 30% is water with traces of impurities and stabilizing materials, such as tin salts, phosphates, nitrates, and other chemical additives), and increased its concentration themselves[*].

[*] DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

It's the bomb!

Reply to
krw

I've always loved that warning...

"Do not do/try this at home."

OK, I'll do at somebody else's house. I'll do it in my office. (When they let me back in.)

I'll do it at church. I'll do it in the diner on Main St.

Hey, I'm just following the rules. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

AND I WOULD EAT THEM IN A BOAT. AND I WOULD EAT THEM WITH A GOAT... AND I WILL EAT THEM, IN THE RAIN. AND IN THE DARK. AND ON A TRAIN. AND IN A CAR. AND IN A TREE. THEY ARE SO GOOD, SO GOOD, YOU SEE! SO I WILL EAT THEM IN A BOX. AND I WILL EAT THEM WITH A FOX. AND I WILL EAT THEM IN A HOUSE. AND I WILL EAT THEM WITH A MOUSE. AND I WILL EAT THEM HERE AND THERE. SAY! I WILL EAT THEM ANYWHERE!

I DO SO LIKE GREEN EGGS AND HAM! THANK YOU! THANK YOU, SAM I AM.

Reply to
krw

It IS plastic, just as Formica (phenolic polymer impregnated paper) is plastic. The transparency is useful, but depends on the matching of index of refraction of cellulose and epoxy. Mainly, it will be useful because it is fibrous (and tough) instead of shatter-prone.

The utility of wood, is that it is lightweight and inexpensive in thick sections, so makes good structures. The beauty of wood comes from the grain and color, both of which are lacking in the transparent state.

Reply to
whit3rd

You can buy 12% H2O2 on Amazon. $15/pint or $33/gallon.

Reply to
Just Wondering

And of course the question every one is waiting for... Can the transparent wood be stained to look like wood?

In all seriousness I think is pretty cool.

Reply to
Leon

You left out "Hold my Beer!"

Reply to