Transparent Wood

Not sure but I'm sure you can paint red like cherry.

Cool but I'd like more details.

Reply to
krw

Like "Will it scale?"

I'm sure that a 1 mm thick window has some purpose, but not in a high rise.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You could layer it, like transparent plywood.

Reply to
G Ross

The layers of plywood are glued together, alternating the grain direction.

Can you glue up layers of transparent wood and maintain the transparency?

Can you determine the grain direction once it?s gone transparent? (I?m sure it could be tracked during manufacturing, but can it be seen by the naked eye?)

Those are the the types of details that would be good to have.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Did you read how transparent wood is created? Glue is a major component.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Transparent particle board? IKEA would love it!

Reply to
krw

What was actually written was this:

"...they infused the wood with a tough transparent epoxy".

Infusing wood with epoxy to fill the pores is very different than using epoxy (or any other glue) to bond the resulting surfaces together.

Standard practice for bonding 2 smooth surfaces with epoxy is to scuff up the surface to give it some bite. Probably not a good idea when trying to keep something transparent.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that it's a detail that would be good to know. Just because glue was used (infused) to create the product doesn't mean it'll work for bonding it while maintaining the transparency.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Or you could just infuse the epoxy into a stack of bleached wood which laminates it as it's being infused under pressure.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

A definite maybe...

Reply to