Frosting Glass

I have just purchased two cabinets for the dining room. The cabinets look very nice, but they have clear glass doors. I wanted to frost the glass so you cannot see into them.

I know that it is possible to buy frosting film that sticks onto the glass. However, I get the impression that it scratches very easily and can end up looking tacky very quickly.

Any suggestions on how to go about frosting existing clear glass?

Thanks, Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson

Having seen (and heard the screams) of the effect of hydroflouric acid on human beings I wouldn't lets it within a mile!

Girl on semiconductor assembly line working in a fume chamber with full length gloves. Pinhole in glove, Hydroflouric acid absorbed straight though the flesh and dissolved the bone. Girl unaware until she removed glove complete with finger. Loud scream lots of running about, big enquiry. Standard procedure to pressure test gloves - "oh it never fails - didn't bother". That was over 30 years ago but still fresh in my mind!

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Im sure B&Q sell it but I dont know the brand name.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

Then again, if it's in a dose not high enough to kill the flesh, it can cause CaF crystals to form on the bones, irritating them. Treatment is to try to scrape it off the bones mechanically.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The scream only came when she took off the glove at the end of the shift and saw the missing finger, which re-inforces your point about it not being painful.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Over in cam.misc someone is reporting that 54 litres of hydrofluoric acid were stolen from premises in East Dereham two days ago.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

The problem is that the glass cannot be removed from the outer edging.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson

Not that this'll help you, but you can "frost" glass by getting a tin of grinding paste from your local motor factor, putting some on the glass, and rubbing it with a block of metal (alloy) in a circular fashion.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

how about a nice mix of the two in a plastic bucket?

run away........

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

What do you want to hide?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

If he told you, there wouldn't be much point in hiding it behind frosted glass would there?

Reply to
raden

The other half is using the cabinets to store various crap, including plates and glasses.

If the glass is frosted, we will not be able to see the contents.

Having examined the options:

  1. sand blasting the glass - not a particularly good idea unless the glass can be removed from the door frame and it is very thick glass.

  1. spray on frosting paint - you need to be a real dab hand with spray paint to get an even surface coating.

  2. B&Q provide frosting on a roll. It is like sticky back plastic and it goes on the inside of the glass. Looks really good!

Graham

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson