Dining Room Table Refinishing

The dining room tables that you buy for about $3000.00 set with hutch seem to have a very thin clear coat on them. Does anyone know if it is possible to add extra clear coat to make it more scratch resistant. Can you refinish the table by sanding and re-applying some clear coat? I assume that most tables are wood veneer tops. Thanks

True.

Yep - I did exactly that. Didn't touch the legs or apron; just the table top and visible edges.

I wouldn't attempt to sand all the way through the existing finish, for exactly the reason you stated - I'd be too worried about sanding through the veneer. If you just want to add additional clearcoat, I'd recommend sanding the existing finish VERY lightly with maybe 320 or

400 grit, and watch the corners - even with the fine grit, it'll be easy to sand through (DAMHIKT). Anyway, that bit of roughness will give the next coats something to grip. Then you can use polyurethane, old-fashioned varnish, or some water-based variant, in a brushing, wiping, or spraying variety. I used Behlen's "Rockhard" Tabletop varnish. I'd do several coats of whatever you pick, sanding lightly between each. If you have access to a woodworking store (i.e. Rockler or Woodcraft), I'd go there and see what they have (or ask them for a recommendation) rather than heading straight to a big-box store to buy your finish. I'd also recommend a finishing book (I have Flexner's) so you know a little more of what you're dealing with, and this will give you some ideas for how to finish to whatever sheen you want, maintenance, etc. Good luck, Andy
Reply to
Andy