Cost to Refinish Table

Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have someone refinish a dining room table. It is solid wood, no veneer, and would involve striping and putting a fresh coat of polyurethane.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Jacobs

Nope. Waaaay too many possible variables unspecified. "a" fresh coat? not likely.

Would cost you far less out of pocket if you DIY. Presuming a few things.

John

Reply to
barry

Depending on size I would guess somewhere between $500 and $1000 at least....mjh

Reply to
mike hide

I'll do it for $176.58. You deliver and pick up.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

more than ten dollars, probably. less than ten thousand dollars, probably.

size, condition, construction, style, type of wood, existing finish, quality of workmanship (for the refinishing) _all_ figure into it.

_None_ of which you specified.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Hi Jim,

Your neighbor will do this for you.

Which neighbor? The one you need to introduce yourself to and invite to dinner with a nice bottle of wine.

But always keep in mind (I love this):

GOOD - CHEAP - FAST (pick any two)

I resemble that.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

That sounds kinda kinky!

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

More than you want to pay, but I give you credit, you recognise how much work is involved and will pay it because you don't want to do the work.

If I were to do it, I'd quote $5K minimum, subject to revision upon inspection of the piece.

You had to ask.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The price that you would pay depends on

  1. The size of the table,
  2. How much damage would have to be repaired before refinishing. Things like scratches into the wood, loose joints, etc.
  3. Where you live. You would pay more in Beverly Hills CA than in Syracuse NY.

For 42" X 60" table, it can start at about $760 and easily go up above $2000. Remember, dining room tables have a higher quality finish than many other pieces of furniture due to the large surface area and the time people spend at a close diastase to it.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron

On Fri, 27 May 2005 01:01:45 GMT, the inscrutable Lew Hodgett spake:

I did a dining table and 8 chairs for $600, half the price quoted by the local yahoos. I removed the poly and RBS, then carefully brushed the pigment stain out of the pores. It then got a dozen hand-rubbed coats of Watco Golden Oak. The whole process took several hours a day for about a month. I didn't have a respirator (but should have) so I stayed upwind of the methylene chloride stripper and lacquer thinner rinse. That's an enormous amount of work, lemme tell ya.

To do it now, I'd ask at least $1,500 and I wouldn't put poly back on it if they paid me double. (Hmmm, well, maybe for triple pay, but not thick enough for that infamous "Saran Wrap" look.)

Is that extra $4k for putting poly back on it? Good call, Lew.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Based on your description of your activities doing a refinish job, the $5K estimate was LOW.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Fri, 27 May 2005 17:27:10 GMT, the inscrutable Lew Hodgett spake:

The reason it got done for $600 was that I was low on work, Mom was stunned by the quote from the refinishing shop. I lowballed it at half the quoted price (as a joke) and the offer was taken. I was happy to do it for them, bought supplies out of my own pocket, and got some free dinners a few nights, too.

Watco is a perfectly viable finish for daily use, BTW. I'd use Waterlox nowadays. It might stand up to 3x daily family use.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Having faired out a boat hull, it gives me a perspective about the time and effort required to finish something that you can not get any other way.

To give you some idea, you could probably refinish 25 dining room tables and have time to spare compared to the time and effort required to fair out a 30 ft sailboat.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett