IKEA window frosting

I got some Amorf window frosting from IKEA.

It's cheap at =A31.99 for 1500 x 500 mm compared to some other stuff but it's tricky to fit. I'm wanting to cover up 4 windows 950 x 650 mm and am doing it in two pieces each 650 x 475.

The problem is it fills up with air bubbles and looks terrible from outside, then gradually starts to peel off as it's not very sticky.

Has anybody done this and made a good job of it. What's the alternative?

Reply to
andyv

You can get spray-on stuff . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Spray as suggested.

But if you want to continue with the stuff you have...the window has to be spotlessly clean,clean it with meths. Then using an slightly warm setting on a clothes iron (so as not to melt the stuff)gently run the iron over it as you are laying it on.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from "andyv" contains these words:

Professional window-sticker appliers[1] spray the window with washing up liquid (diluted, obviously) which allows the applique to slide to the right place. The liquid is then squeegeed out with a thing like a shower-cleaning flipper.

[1] BSM in Watford was next to an Army recruiting office. After another such place got bombed they came and stuck "Bomb-proof film" to the plate glass window in the BSM office. So instead of being cut to ribbons by a blast, we'd all be pressed into paté against the back wall. That was where I first saw stickers applied like that, but I've seen it done with big vehicle decals, too.
Reply to
Guy King

As mentioned - clean the window with methds Spray soapy water on the film and window. Put the film up to the window. Use squeegy to get rid of all the water and air bubbles Over the next few days squeeze out any remaining bubbles

I did not use ikea film but some other stuff and did as above and it worked amazingly well. Only regred was not removing the trim round the window to give a cleaner edge

Reply to
Rob Convery

snip

In addition to the 'Bomb' (effects diminishing ) film, windows should be backed up with good old fashioned net curtains; ... ideally these should be approx ten~twenty percent longer than the window 'drop' and get tucked behind a short-ish upstand off the window cill. The theory being that flying glass shards are caught by the billowing net curtains. Suprisngly effective and low cost - according to the lectures/briefings I attended all those years ago. The set-up was unpopular because the nets never 'hung' correctly and the windows always looked scruffy.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Thanks folks will give it a try this w/e.

BTW I had considered spray on - this was effective on some small paned windows in my last house but the stuff seems to come only in tiny tins costing an arm and a leg.

Reply to
andyv

That's what we had when I used to work in Whitehall.

Reply to
adder1969

You should have got an old woman to hang them!

(old so that she'd know how to do it, you can't trust the younger versions)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher