Foundation XII

Folks -
What a ball-buster! SWMBO and I finally finished the stem wall forms and will pour on Monday. The building inspector showed up today at 5 and said that the approach we used to build the forms was "unorthodox" but that it would be plenty strong. Heck, I just sorta figured that the corners of the forms should be dovetailed together - who knew?
The only hitch is that the vertical rebar placement was a bit wide so I set the form walls 8" apart instead of 6" in some sections. Those parts may not be very pretty, but they are on the inside walls and will soon be covered with the slab. Some of the wall sections are out of plumb by up to 3/4" (out) but the building inspector said it was within code because of the wall thickness.
Getting those damn walls into place and getting everything level and square was a bit of a trick - it has been quite hot here of late, and the wif and I don't tolerate working in ditches in the direct sun for very long.
The mixer and concrete pump will show up Monday at 10:30. After the form walls are poured we need to spread out and compact the fill and then sand/gravel, and with any luck we will be able to pour the slab on October 1. Now the BIG question is if I can get it framed and a roof on it by the end of October, when our sour weather usually begins.
I will be SO happy not to be working and stooping to ground level and below....
John
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 02:15:05 GMT, "John Moorhead"

I haven't been following the thread, so I'm not sure how big a structure you're building, but there is hope that you'll get it up in time! A few weeks ago, I helped a guy that works at my hardwood supplier put up a 16' x 20' shop, and it only took about thirty hours between the two of us, roof and all- it really goes fairly quickly once you get going. Good luck with the roof trusses if it's just you and your wife, though! :)