Forstner bits - why no 5/16, 7/16

I'm a newbie. Wondering why the forstner drill bit sets seem to increment by 1/8", with no 5/16 7/16 etc.

Cost? I noticed the same thing (needed a 7/16ths, so had to order it). Sucks not having a woodworking store within 100mi.

I want to feel guilty having a Woodcraft four miles from my front door, but being able to pick up a ten dollar router bit makes up for it.
Jon
On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 21:04:46 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

<grumble>
It's a *small* consolation that Woodcraft doesn't charge AL sales tax on mail order. For pretty much the entire last year they've had free shipping, so other than the wait it's not all bad. We go up to Birmingham or Atlanta every couple of months so I can get my fix. Atlanta is an automatic triple play (the car has memorized the Peachtree-to-Woodcraft-to-Rockler route ;).

They are not used as much. Given a choice, I'd buy the kit without them. I've never used those sizes so I'm not willing to pay for them just to have around. I bought a cheap set to start with and have bough better quality replacements for the sizes that I do use and wore out.

I'd tend to agree but the first one I needed was 7/16ths. Go figure.
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 22:09:38 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Lots of ?/16 sizes here.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pc566&cat=1,180,42240

Not in Blowes and HomeDespot. That's the point. I did get one from WoodCraft (can't just order a drill bit...).
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 22:53:31 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Well, that's the idea isn't it? You have to buy in quantity if you want to get anything approaching a decent cost per bit ratio. In any event, if you're even just a marginal woodworker, a set of forstner bits approaches the must-have threshold as far as I'm concerned.

Whoosh!
"gray asphalt" wrote:

So that you will buy that 7 pc, brad point drill set for those sizes 1/2" and below and use the carbide forstner set for 5/8" and above.
Lew
On 6/8/2010 11:37 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Precisely ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

If you want a set with both the 1/8th and 1/16th increment bits, Rockler has this set:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page "426&filter=forstner%20bits
If you all ready have a set of bits with the 1/8th increments and just need the 1/16th increments, there is this set from Rockler:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 315&filter=forstner%20bits
I all ready had a set of Forstner bits and got the additional 1/16th increment bits to fill things out. I think I got mine on sale, but the regular price of $28 isn't too bad.

Same reason K-Mart's Dinnerware sets don't come with shrimp cocktail/ escargot forks?
I was wondering if maybe forstner bits were used for some purpose I didn't know about that never required 16ths. I bought a Milwaukee set, very cheap. So far two of the bits work great, really, but the third is dull and since it's 3/8 I wonder if i will be able to sharpen it. I'm thinking about ordering another set and combining the good from each and sending back the duds.
"gray asphalt" wrote:

Low purchase price bits will be some of the MOST EXPENSIVE bits you will ever own.
If you can return them, do so, if not, drop them in the circular file and move on.
Freud has a great set of carbide forstner bits.
Had a set for over 10 years, no regrets.
About $100, but you only cry once.
Lew

Or replace the dull bits with carbide bits as you use them. Some may stay sharp forever. ;-)