Forstner bits from Grizzly

Just got a new 500+ page catalog from Grizzly today.
They have several sets of forstner bits at what appear to be pretty good prices. Some are from SteeleX, others like the set on back cover for $24.95 (reg $49) doesn't mention a mfg. (unless they are Grizzly's own brand???
Does anyone have any experiences with these?
I really just need a 35mm bit for some face frame hinges, is a 1 3/8" bit close enough? Only off by a fraction when you do the conversion.
I don't plan on using them very often, but, they seem like a nice thing to have.
ThankX, Ron

I have the round shank version, with the TiN coating. They're reasonable, but not fantastic. They cut holes, which is all I need.

It's off by 3 thou (too small). Might be too tight if the tolerances on the hinges are really close.

I use mine for more things than I expected.

Look on page 341 of the catalog. The 35mm hinge boring bit is what you need.
Frank
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:32:31 +0000, Ron wrote:

A 1-3/8" works fine, I use it all the time and I think it's a better/tighter fit. It's also if bought at a woodcraft, a bunch less expensive than the 35mm.
-Doug

I used a 1 3/8 for Blum hinges and it worked great. It was tight after I got a little paint overspray but the hinge still seated fine. I bought whatever brand was carried by HD and it worked fine in MDF. Hmmm, let me qualify that. I tried some test holes with my cordless drill and could not keep the bit from "walking" sideways as the bit went deeper. I had to use the drill press, which required fashioning a large table for it to support the cabinet doors. Believe me, I have more tools than sense because I inherited a lot of fantastic stuff. Here I was struggling with the cordless while the drill press was (literally) gathering dust ten feet away.
I got my Grizzly catalog today too. Makes for nice bedtime reading!
Tom
Whatever you do, don't repeat the mistake I made Saturday. Some company came to town, rented a big hall, and sold crap.
I bought 16 forstner bits for $10. Some cut poorly, some don't cut at all. I don't have the heart to throw them out, but I probably should. My set looks exactly like the cheap set in the Grizzly catalog. I sure hope it isn't the same crap. $10 was bad enough, but $25 would be that much worse.
The worst buy though was the reciprocating saw for $10. I don't need one very often, and I figured "how bad can it be?" Well, I found out; it broke the first time I used it. The zinc casting were so thin they flexed like cheap plastic. Odd thing is, I don't see how they can make even make crap like that for $10. I mean, there is all the castings, the motor, box, shipping, etc. It is a pity they couldn't have made it just a bit better.
I did buy some decent clamps for $8 and an angle grinder that has held up so far for $7.

For sixty-three cents apiece, you were expecting something better? LOL

Should not be a surprise.

Yeah, well, just wait til the first time you actually *use* it... <g>

My Grizzly forstner bits cut fine.
Could the company be Homier? They sell a lot of HF junk.
Jeff

all.
hope
broke
so
JeffC wrote:

They sell the stuff that was so crappy HF wouldn't put their name on it.

Yes it was. HF junk looks good in comparison. I just couldn't believe it was a bad as it was.

hmmmmmm....... sounds like the cummins tool show came to town. been to one left quickly. what a pile o crap they sell. saw a 12 dollar cordles drill and it said made by hitachi one the tag in fromt of it but the lable on the drill said cummins tool co. lol.... lots o folks must fall for this crud cause they are still in business. skeez
Ron wrote:

I use the 1 3/8" all the time. I have not had a problem with the fit of the hinge. Fits snugly and yet a gentle tap will align it with the door frame. Like others, the difference between 35mm and 1 3/8" is so small that it does not make that much of a difference.