Milwaukee's Quik-Lok cord?

Does anyone else think that Milwaukee's "Quik-Lok" cord is an incredibly stupid idea? Sure, it makes it easy to change the cord or take it off if you need to store the tool in a small space. However, it introduces a whole new weak link (connector) and it costs a fortune. So you end up with a $17.00 (Home Despot price) 8' cord that will need replacement sooner or later when the connector fails (and I have one that did). For a regular tool, you buy some SJT 16/3 for around $1/foot and a plug for a couple bucks.

The only time I'd think it would make sense is if you were a really careless contractor who had to replace damaged cords onsite every week, or maybe if you needed to keep a drill in a body cavity. Other than that, give me a fixed cord.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

One of the plusses is you can use a different length Quik-lok cord when needed, it comes in 8' standard & 25' extra long. Looked after they last a long time, one of my guys has the patience & skill to rewire & re-install the twist plug virtually invisibly in less than fifteen minutes. We have often re-used the connector with a new standard heavy duty 3 wire cord for about $10 extra labour. The original Quik-lok cordsets are superiorly made compared to most standard cordsets.

Don't forget to try to limit the voltage drop to five volts at 150% of the rated amperage when using extra long cords, inadequate size wire causes a serious drop in voltage resulting in loss of power & tool damage.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Yes. I hate them. They absolutely will not stand up to commercial construction use. Infact, the first thing I tell my guys to do is replace the quicklock with a regular cord. I typically buy sawzalls and drills that are milwaukie brand. Because of the quickcord issues I've had, I've switched to the porter cable tiger saw(zall). From the fwiw dept. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

If I want a longer cord, I have extension cords from 16 to 10 gauge. My issue with the Quik-Lok connectors is the connector itself, not the cord going into it. The contacts are not as durable as a regular 120/15 blade plug/outlet like you'd have on an extension cord. As far as I know, Milwaukee doesn't sell just the connectors, so I'm out a whole cord.

You can also get 50' QL cords, by the way.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I actually went to a regular-corded Super Sawzall because I wasn't happy with the design of my PC Tiger Saw. The PC uses a guide design that more prone to wear and slop, plus no anti-vibe counterweight.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I have the QL on my 1/2" holeshooter. While I really do like the utility of having it removable, the outer cord insulation (black part) has pulled out of the connector shell leaving the internal green/white/black wires exposed. I tried one time to crack the connector open since all I really need to do is shorten things up and stuff it all back in, but the darn thing has more hidden locking tabs than I have fingers....

-Bruce

GTO69RA4 wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Rowen

Price is an issue here John. . My guys go through sawzalls and skil saws like I go through socks. Personally, I use the milwaukie non super sawzall with the regular cord. I've had it for 10 years. It isn't as powerful as the super model or tiger saw but it works for me. BTW, what year is your GTO? SH

Reply to
Slowhand

I personally like being able to store all my toools WITHOUT the cord on them. It is a major pain to wrap up the cord on each tool. Now I simply twist it a half turn and hang the cord somewhere; the tools are SO much easier to store without the cord. I have three drills, a hammer drill, a Sawzall (sp?), and something esle that just slipped my mind.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Would they go through recip and circular saws so quickly if they had a share in them? Like buying their own tools?

That said, I used a Sawzall a few years ago with that Quik-Lok plug and hated it. Sawing off rafter ends 20' in the air and having the f***er fall out 3-4 times brought out the duct tape. I don't like working off the ground anyway, but when I have to go down to retrieve something that shouldn't have fallen 4 times in a single hour, I hate the trip down and up, too.

Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

I like my quik lok cords. It allows me to store the tool in a smaller space without worrying about the cord being stressed. If the cord needs replaced it's a simple matter of replacing the cord. I don't have to split the tool and do a rewire game.

My tools aren't exposed to the harsh world of contracting. This may be the difference. I'm the only one using them so I know their not abused.

Reply to
Mark

I agree to the previous point, plus I would like to point out you can get cords of various lengths which can eliminate extension cords and make it easier working lots of times.

Reply to
ToolMiser