Fixing A Table To The Floor

Hi,
I just finished a table for my daughter. Its dimensions (48"w x 17"d x 37"h) make it too easy to tip over for my comfort. She is in an apartment so nailing it down is out of the question. She might put down self-sticking flooring at some point - that offers some possibilities. Is there a clever means of minimizing or eliminating tip overs.
FWIW: Tipping over might not be that much of a problem but I am a worrywart.
Thanks, Gary
Mon, Feb 4, 2008, 4:41pm snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (abby) doth sayeth: Hi, I just finished a table for my daughter. Its dimensions (48"w x 17"d x 37"h) make it too easy to tip over for my comfort. She is in an apartment so nailing it down is out of the question. She might put down self-sticking flooring at some point - that offers some possibilities. Is there a clever means of minimizing or eliminating tip overs. <snip>
Clever? Not especially. Weight it down. Set it up against the wall. Put outrigger feet on it. Toss it and make another one. Tell her not to bump it. Turn it upside down and use it as a hat rack and umbrella stand. Bungee cord it to the end of the bed. Turn it upside down, box it in, and use it as a wastebasket. The possibilities abound.
JOAT - who does not welcome thread question e-mails..
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.

I can't think of the name of the piece of hardware, but a slick way to do it would be to use baluster attachments. It's a circular piece of steel about an inch in diameter, with a slot cut into the middle. You drill a hole in the bottom of your baluster that's the same diameter, and as deep as the steel is thick. Then you bore a deeper hole with a little bit smaller diameter bit, to allow for clearance for the lag bolt, which comes next...
What you do now is screw a lag bolt into the floor where you want the baluster (or leg, in your case). Then you slip the leg over the hole, and shove it sideways so the head of the bolt pulls the steel fastener to the floor - the inside of the slot is beveled so the further over you push the leg, the tighter it gets to the floor. They've got 'em for newel posts and even oval ones for picture frames and the like. I like these round ones because you just need the right sized forstner bit to cut the mortise.
If this sounds like something you'd do, let me know and I'll see about getting you 4 of them. JP (use mwskaneateles at adelphia dot net)
Jay Pique wrote:

Most landlords get shirty if you screw lag bolts into their floors.

--John

Turn it upside down.... Fasten a 48" x 48" sheet of 3/4" ply..... Flip back over.. It's now nailed to a small floor....
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Johnny Carson was right.
Comedy is not easy! :-)
Gary
abby wrote:

Steve Martin was right too--it's not pretty either.
--John

Comedy? Can you come up with an easier non-invasive, easily-reversable way of doing it? Extend the ply beyond the footprint as it should be so the chair she's in helps stabilize even more. If you're a picky type, put flooring on the plywood or carpet it. When she's capable, unscrew and make it the cat's playpen.

Thanks, George... It seemed like a good fit, with a 48" long but very narrow table.. I'm not sure why folks took it as a joke, other than my rep as a smart ass..
As an ex-property manager, I thought it was an easy way to make the table more stable and not piss off the landlord..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Mon, Feb 4, 2008, 8:40pm snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (abby) doth sayeth: Johnny Carson was right. Comedy is not easy! :-)
You have no sense of imagination.
JOAT - who does not welcome thread question e-mails..
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Mon, Feb 4, 2008, 8:40pm snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (abby) doth sayeth: Johnny Carson was right. Comedy is not easy! :-)
You have no sense of imagination.
JOAT - who does not welcome thread question e-mails..
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.

What's on the floor now?

If she is going to put it against a wall, put some eyebolts into a couple of wall anchors near the top of the table and then run some zip- ties through the eye of the bolt and around the leg. If the legs are too far in, then just mount some smaller eyebolts in the table top and run the zip-tie through those. I used a similar setup to keep my 15 month old from pulling the Christmas tree down a few months back, so it should be plenty for your needs.
-Nathan

Right.. most landlords probably consider eyebolts in the wall a decor enhancement..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Right, but a 1/4" hole in the wall is easily patched in such a way that it is unnoticeable. You don't need much to secure it, just a small plastic wall anchor and an eyebolt with compatible thread size.
-Nathan

I don't want to get too picky, but I spent a lot of years in property management.. Anything is easy to patch when you move, but some landlords would freak if they came for a repair or inspection and saw anything that involved holes.. They can get weird that way.. (Which is a good thing, if you're doing management)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Well, I'm posting form the point of view of someone who is going to patch and stuff before the landlord comes around to inspect anything.
I agree that in general it's not a good thing to punch holes in stuff that isn't yours. I figured a wall hole in an odd and less noticeable place would be less unacceptable than holes in the floor or something else. :-)
-Nathan

Take a couple of boards finished to match the table and fasten them to the bottom of the legs like skis