The finished patio table

It has certainly brought home to me the need for a bandsaw, this would have been so much easier, quicker and accurate than all the handsawing and chiseling I had to do.

ss

That is superb. You should be proud.

Reply to
David Lang

Splendid job... Uncanny how close it is to the mental picture I had of it as well!

(I like the stopped chamfers on the corners of the main post)

Reply to
John Rumm

+1 in spades. Excellent.
Reply to
News

Another hearty congrats from me. I couldn't have come close to managing that.

Reply to
GB

Very nice. The real test of garden furniture is not how it looks now, but how it looks in 5 years. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Lovely job. Don't forget to put in on the wiki :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I wouldnt know how to and not convinced it is worthy of.

I would add that if you read my previous posts when I started this project I had no idea how to construct this table, my starting point was `I had some wood` ONLY through advice, recommendations and guidance from this NG did I even know where to start, what joints to use etc. My woodwork experience is: School from 50 years ago. A basic bench I built 26 years ago. (and still exists) A fence 26 years ago and another 5 years ago. To give an idea of my usage in DIY, I have a set of chisels I bought 39 years ago and they were sharpened for the first time last year! I am still using a B&D jigsaw I bought 39 years ago, and my B&D workbench is also 39 years old. I need to update :-)

So dont under estimate you own capabilities and the help that others can give. I wouldnt have managed without you.

Reply to
ss

You succeeded, you made a nice table. No-one else did it. I bet some other folk would like to know how to copy it or use the methods in other projects.

Not your only success then. We all come here & ask questions. Nothing wrong with old tools, if they still work.

If you write down the basic method of making it & chuck in some piccies I can put it on the wiki for you. (Or explain how you can if you like - it's designed to be very easy.)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Its a good looking result, and you went through an interesting design and learning experience to get to it, so I would say that makes is very worth of a write up.

Well some of my big workshop tools are older than me! My table saw was made in 1948. my planer probably similar or not much later.

Tell you what, drop me an email and I will make you a wiki account, and create the start of an article for you. You can then slap some words in and upload any pictures you have. I can upload the sketchup bits I did, and then someone can make it look pretty for you. Hows that?

Reply to
John Rumm

Here is your starter outline:

John Rumm

Does one have to buy an iphone to see a picture of a patio table that could have been easier to make with a saw that costs more than a patio table, or will sensible computers as used by Microsoft's version of sensible computers, allow it?

What I did get were pictures of hexagonal tables that made no sense until I realised that I was looking at what I interpreted as advertisements intended to be seen by sensible people.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Thanks for that I will see what I can add over the weekend.

Reply to
ss

Drop me an email with your preferred wiki user name, so I can add a wiki account for you (I will need to email you the password).

Reply to
John Rumm

Bloody hell it is the same table. Why do you need a bandsaw for that? The perimiter is 12 saw cuts and the centre is two per piece. A band saw will be uesless at chiselling or do you mean cutting the housing joints was difficult?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

A bandsaw would make light work of the shaping of the feet, and could also cut the chamfers on the main post. It could also do the half laps for the base and cross members for the top support.

As with most of these things, if its the only powered cutting tool you have, you will find a way to use it for many applications. (and everyone needs to start somewhere)

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd still have thought that a basic sliding chop saw would be the most useful power tool to do the multiple angled cuts quickly and accurately. A band saw takes up quite a lot of workshop space.

Reply to
newshound

I can't see either a chop saw or a band saw being the therapeutic effect th at using hand tools to create something in a hobby provides. Especially on such a simple piece. If he need a band saw really then he might have more f un laying bricks or learning to paint.

But while I am mouthing-off may I just say what a pleasure it is to not ope n advert shitten websites when you install NoScript or AdBlock. I am just p laying with Linux Mint at the moment and was upset to find the OP's link wa s beset with them and my software was protecting me without my knowing.

You tend to forget such things until you watch a film or something in Youtu be and then read comments about crapware spoiling it. At least I shall reme mber this -until the next time.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Remind us, how are you getting on with your rocking chair powered generator, or even just opening a tin?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well there's another reason to DIY I'd never thought of.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr