Roof window recs please

I'd like to put in a roof window for extra light and removal of excess heat in the loft. The roof angle is about 45 degrees, tiles are flat and square.

Will centre pivot be LESS likely to let in rain - if left open?

Is it a straight forward D-I-Y job?

Any thoughts on makers, I'm looking at smaller sizes. TIA.

Maurice Goldstein

I always use Roto PVC roofwindows. No maintenance. Available from Loft Shop. Not the cheapest but a fit once exercise. The fitting instructions are very good. Any roof window will let in rain if left open. I believe self closing kits are available?

Reply to
Capitol

Yup, not too difficult. Easy if you have exterior access, but also doable entirely from inside the loft.

Reply to
John Rumm

I had to get building control in when I did mine. We are in a conservation area.

Reply to
Lawrence

+1, but it was only to check the heat loss: a nice lady came along with some sort of meter, put it on the window, passed and signed the paperwork.
Reply to
Allan

Thanks for that. Yep, rain happens, if I'm daft enough to forget to close it .....

Reply to
Maurice Goldstein

Exterior access would require scaffolding costs. Have to be do-able from inside. I've just measured the 2" x 2" rafters and the centres are only 15".

Reply to
Maurice Goldstein

Doubt whether it's in a conservation area, they're building 200+ houses in the fields fronting the house. I think the whole of Cornwall is unrestricted :-)

The proposed roof light is at rear of property, which faces allotments and fields. However, our terrace is 2-up-2-down, built 1840's so may have some sort of restriction. I'll play safe and sound out Bldg Regs before I proceed.

Reply to
Maurice Goldstein

I have used Velux & Roto .... in future I will only use Roto.

Make sure you buy with full flashing kit, installation is easy ... hard part is preparing the opening. Make sure top & bottom (noggins) are in right place and fixed solid before you start fitting the kit.

Reply to
rick

Thanks, I guess Velux is the best known but I'll look at Roto.

Reply to
Maurice Goldstein