Finished the table

A couple months ago I bought two sugar maple natural edge flitches with a f ew defects. Filled with West System epoxy. I decided to use a piece of wa lnut to marry the two. Finished with two coats of Watco natural and four c oats of Minwax polycrilic. Trestle build with 6/4 hard maple.

Pix are at:

Thanks for the tips on the West System and Minwax.

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Very Nice

Reply to
JAS

Good looking table. The finish really brings out the nice grain.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

few defects. Filled with West System epoxy. I decided to use a piece of walnut to marry the two. Finished with two coats of Watco natural and four coats of Minwax polycrilic. Trestle build with 6/4 hard maple.

I like it. Good job.

If I may, you might consider putting a Dutchman on the underside, spanning any suspect defect - crack or split. I put one on the underside of my waln ut table, at just such suspect crack, and used the West System epoxy for th e adhesive.

And on this cedar table top -

099340231/ My heart Dr. wants this table, so I'm in the (slow) process of making trest le legs.... if they hold together (defected cedar stump stock).

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

few defects. Filled with West System epoxy. I decided to use a piece of walnut to marry the two. Finished with two coats of Watco natural and four coats of Minwax polycrilic. Trestle build with 6/4 hard maple.

Looks great!

Reply to
Michael

Very fine indeed! I particularly like the way the walnut is echoed in the leg of the table.

Cheers, Colin

Reply to
Colin Campbell

Very nice Larry.I like it a lot

Reply to
woodchucker

That is so beautiful. Something to be proud of.

Reply to
G. Ross

Wow< that looks great! On one end it looks like the walnut is sitting in a couple of rabbets. On the other it look like it sits in a grove. Was that your artistic way of dealing with a rough edge both sides of the maple tops?

And how much did the crane cost to rent to drop that thing in place? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

"Gramps' shop" was heard to mutter:

Very nice table. I have plans for a similar table that I have been wanting to build for a few years. Thanks for sharing and the added inspiration.

Reply to
Casper

I am particularly impressed by the fact you accomplished this level of craftsmanship with tools readily available to the average home woodworker without overcompensating. Great job!

Trenbidia

Thanks, Leon. I puzzled for a bit on how to marry the slabs. Rabbets seemed the easiest solution. Shop is in the basement. Wife helped me bring it upstairs. Trestle first then the top. Better than a treadmill stress test!

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Wife (^5) gets half the project credit. You have to prepare dinner for her.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Gorgeous top! I really like the light sheen, and think the walnut strip do wn the middle adds a lot of personal character.

And the table actually looks really usable! I have seen more trestle table s than I can count that have large tops and the legs look like bridge abutm ents, with very little leg space left underneath them, and then the base of the legs wind up as foot rests with all the finish scraped off of them in a few months.

Those look very well proportioned.

Very nice job. Bet the wife is thrilled.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Absolutely gorgeous.

But...

"she really had no choice but to exclaim she liked it

she was put on the spot"

;-)

Reply to
krw

You sure do make a bold statement with your wood working. Very nice!

Reply to
OFWW

Awesome table Larry, I like how you married the two halves. Very clean.

Reply to
OFWW