sugar maple problem

I am going to plant a "commemoration" sugar maple at the front of my house. I can only place it 15 feet away from the foundation. My father said the root might cause problems to the foundation, and this will happen within ten fifteen years.

My research does not indicates that Sugar Maple have invasive roots. May be my old man was thinking of a Norway Maple, which look similar to a sugar maple during summer.

Does anybody has experience with planting a sugar maple not too far away from a house ? Does that cause you any trouble ?

Reply to
JW

Sugar Maples (Acer Saccharum) are not known to have invasive roots, unlike Silver Maple. I think you should be okay with 15 feet clearance. Sugar Maple trees grow best with lots of space surrounding them. My sugar maple is now 40 feet tall, after 10 years--beautiful tree and nice golden color leaves in the fall. They are somewhat slow growers, prefer full sun, moist soil.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder if you know if this tree can be pruned to keep it relatively small. Since the tree is only 15 feet from my house, I want to keep it within 25 feet tall and may be aroun 25 feet wide. Otherwise if I let it grow naturally, because of it's vicinity to the house it might turn into sort of a ugly 'columnar' shape which is out of proportion.

Reply to
JW

Sure it can be pruned. But this will ruin the natural beauty of a sugar maple which will grow to over 50 feet tall. It should be given adequate space to grow gracefully in its later years.

Here's some maples that (should) remain under 25 feet tall at maturity:

Trident (Acer Buergerianum) Hedge (Acer Campestre) V>Thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder if you know if this tree

Reply to
Phisherman

I know if your sewer pipes aren't the new PVC stuff they can get in there and cause major issues.... My last Thanksgiving was just such a joy >eyeroll<

Colleen Zone 5 CT

Reply to
GrampysGurl

There is at least one variety of sugar maple bred to be narrow - nearly columnar in shape. It would make more sense to have a "skinnier" tree in your circumstance, since the normal spread of a sugar maple is probably at least 20 feet on either side of the trunk. I'll try to look up the variety name. Ok, here's at least one " Goldspire"

feet across 35 to 40 feet tall - it appears to be wider at the base branches than at the top, if that is your preference..

Reply to
gregpresley