perennials for under Norway Maple?

My small front yard garden (all perennials) is about 6 feet away from a large, old Norway Maple street tree. While the garden faces south, I would consider it a part-shade garden. The main problem is the incredibly invasive tree roots that are literally strangling the life out of some of my plants. Some of the plants seem to be able to fight back, but I am getting more and more dead zones in the garden. Any recommendations for plants that can handle this site,which aren't totally invasive?

Reply to
Alison

Assuming you're in a temperate zone, then:

Epimediums would do fine amidst the maple roots.

Crane's-bills would do well unless you failed to get water to them; the maple roots can suck them dry otherwise, but wtth sufficient water the crane's-bills quite naturally grow up near the bases the trees & shrubs.

Hardy cyclamens are adapted for life in just the conditions you outline. But they come & go seasonally; for more of an evergreen presence, asarum wild gingers should do great.

For something BIG that should do well, Wallich's Wood Fern or Western Sword Fern could be very impressive in such a spot.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Astro turf and plastic flowers.

Seriously, about the only solution is to put a root barrier down on top of the soil and then put your perennials in a raised bed above the root barrier. You can get fabric root barriers from garden center. Then us garden timbers to define a raised bed and fill it with top soil and use that. Also, have some branches removed from the Norway maple to give you more sun if you need it.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

As you have discovered, the Norway Maple is one of the most invasive trees there are. Not only do the roots invade but volunteers sprout up everywhere and pretty soon, no trees other than NM.

Hmmmpph. I always thought that Norwegians were a peacable lot who only bothered fish.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

Thanks for the advice. I saw your web page while looking up those ferns. I live in Rhode Island (Zone 6?) Will they work here? Also, any particular kind of cranesbill? My "Johnson's Blue" is not doing too well there--floppy and not too many blooms.

Reply to
Alison

Most cranesbills will do fine in zone 6. I have a disappointing "Johnson's Blue" as well, & have seen many other complaints about from a cranesbill e-list. Apparently many things labeled "Johnson's Blue" are only approximations & not the real strain, & the majority are inferior for bloom. Ones that perform extremely well include "Patricia" "Lilac Plenum" "Victor Reiter Jr" & "Rozanne."

As for Wallich's Woodfern in zone 6, it'll do well down to zone 5, but I don't think it would be evergreen as it is here in zone 8. It's possible the common, smaller "Deer Fern" would still be evergreen even in zone 6.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat