Gladiolas/Orchids - encouring new bulbs.

Ok,, newbie here so I hope my question is not toooo stupid. :) I have the following types of Perrenials this question applies to: Gladiolas Chinese Orchids Asiatic Lillies

My understanding is these should sprout additional bulbs (self multiply) If that is correct, is there a way to encourage the self-multiplication by when the stocks or sprouts are cut?

They are all done blooming of course and I did use some for cut flowers but now I am wondering should I cut the remaining part still above the ground now or wait until the stuff turns brown or dies.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Rick

Don't know about Chinese orchids, but the most encouraging thing you can do for glads and lilies is to remove the flowers (stalks for glads; top pouf for lilies) and leave the foliage 'til it dies down on its own. It is making and storing energy in the bulb(s) for next year.

Reply to
Frogleg