orchids

Hello,

I don't know where to post this. I recently started growing orchids. I purchased two plants last year and when we moved into our current house the previous owner left me some of his orchids as he had too many to move to his new house. I did lose three last winter in the greenhouse. We finally closed it up and I installed a heater to keep it from getting below 50 degrees.

My question is one of the orchids has two long flower stems. One is over three feet long and the other is about two feet give or take. When do the flowers bloom? They sprouted out for over several weeks ago. Should I go ahead and stake the stems before the flowers come out or wait until it starts blooming? I brought it in the house to keep it safe from the cold weather. I live in Columbus Georgia.

Thank you,

Deborah

Reply to
Patrick Mullins

Try the rec.gardens.orchids group. There are a lot of knowledgable people there.

Bonnie

Reply to
BonnieJean

There are knowledgeable people HERE as well. I've grown orchids for many years.

You most likely have a phalaenopsis (butterfly/moth orchid) or dendrobium. If the orchid looks like a collection of leathery leaves radiating out from a center point, and not much height to the plant itself, then its a phalaenopsis. If the orchid body is like a stalk with upright leaves growing from the sides then its a dendrobium.

In either event do stake the flower stems. The flowers will begin to bud and then open, but not very fast. The tradeoff, though, is that the blooms will last a very long time.

Try to keep the plants at room temperature if you can (60 - 70) and at least

40% humidity.

Hope this helps.

- Dewolla Stepon

Reply to
Dewolla

Okay, I think I have a phalaenopsis. On a white stick it says Helen Janet "Genette". I have looked through several websites and neither name comes up so I am missing a species name as what I must have is a variety name which will mean nothing to anyone. I guess I must wait longer before I get flowers to determine what color they are. I bought some Vanda orchids on eBay which are a cross between yellow and pink flowers. I know I will have to wait years before they will bloom as they are very small compared to my other orchids. All the other orchids are dendrobium orchids and they are in the greenhouse and doing okay in the 50 degree temp. it is more humid in the greenhouse with all the rain we have had lately than in the house yet I do have the humidifier running at night in the baby's room and my room (if that will help as the plant is in the dining room). I thought about moving it into the kitchen as it gets more light there but I have my baby vandas on the shelf.

I appreciate the information. I know I will learn as I go along just like you learn about children as you go along.

Deborah

Reply to
Patrick Mullins

Probably so. Whatever the color, though, moth orchids are very pretty. The blossoms will open from the bottom of the spike first and last a very long time.

Make certain the orchids get just indirect light, direct light will sunscald the leaves. As far as getting enough humidity you may try placing the pots in a pan filled with gravel and a little water. You can also use a spray bottle and give the plants a fine misting of water once or twice a day. Kitchens and bathrooms are two places where indoor orchids do well (indirect light and humidity).

Glad I could help, Deborah. You'll do just fine.

- Dewolla Stepon

Reply to
Dewolla