cast iron plant

I purchased some cast iron plants on ebay. Planted a 1/3 in a pot get afternoon light, planted another 1/3 in a pot gets morning light, the last 1/3 is still sitting in some water. The plants roots were really dry and I sat them in water for about 2 weeks. The potted plants two of the leaves are turning yellow. Does this mean too much or too little water? Or is this a light problem?

Reply to
Sammy'

Cast iron plants resent transplanting. Water them once a month or every three weeks during winter, once a week from spring to fall. Give the plant a shower when the leaves get dusty. Mine gets a very brief period of sunlight only in late afternoon--it has been growing there (in the same pot) for over 10 years. It is the nature of this plant to look a little haggard, and one of few plants that seem to enjoy neglect. Only got it to flower once--it's a purple flower at the soil surface. I've been looking for a variegated variety for the past few years, nothing found yet!

Yikes! Soaked in water for two weeks--sounds a bit extreme (one day should have been enough), but I guess the cast iron plant can take a little torture too. :-)

Reply to
Phisherman

You left them in water for 2 weeks?? Definitely a water issue - the roots are starved for oxygen and are most likely rotted by now. Even if very dry, the roots would rehydrate after only a couple of hours. These are not bog or water plants, and can go without water for extended periods. Provided any of these survive (you might as well toss the one still sitting in water right now), they tolerate low light level and minimal watering, specially in winter. That's how they got the name 'cast iron' plant, because they are extremely easy to grow and require minimal care. I'm not sure I ever encountered anyone who actually killed one of these plants :-) Might help to do some research on the plants BEFORE you get them so you know how to properly care for them before it is too late.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Way too much water. See: