Cleaning cooker cast iron (caustic soda ?)

We have a built in hob, with 3 cast iron pan supports. Which are a pig of a size to work with anywhere.
Would soaking them in a caustic soda solution clean off the accumulated muck and grease without too much harm ?
I might have to rejuvenate a barbecue cleaning tray I used to use ?
On 24/10/2018 15:17, Jethro_uk wrote:

Caustic soda won't attack cast iron, so worth trying.
Cheers
--
Clive

On 24/10/2018 15:21, Clive Arthur wrote:

I suspect it will given time and make it red rusty in the process.
But I think it would be fine for cleaning it of grease with provided that you don't leave it on overnight or something stupid like that.
Wear eye protection and stout rubber gloves as a minimum you really don't want a caustic burn.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 15:37:56 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

Can't be stressed enough, thanks !
On 24/10/2018 15:37, Martin Brown wrote:

No, it won't attack iron. Ye cannae meddle with the laws of chemistry.

Cheers
--
Clive

Jethro_uk wrote:

mumsnet says chuck 'em in the bath with some bio washing power and leave overnight ...
On Wednesday, 24 October 2018 15:34:47 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

or put them in the dishwasher. It will take several goes to get it all off, but it does gradually. Also scrape it when the washer is done, you'll find a lot of it turned to soft goo temporarily.
NT
On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 07:38:37 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

Hmm ... I guess they might fit one at a time. It's a 4-ring+wok burner, so 3 pieces of iron.
On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 15:34:41 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

My Mum used bio washing powder - it bought stainless steel up a treat.
However I have tried the bio trick with these beasts, and it wasn't really a success (overnight).
Also it's an acrylic bath, so I'm a bit wary.

I may have mentioned this before, my daughter's linguistics dissertation contained a section comparing posts in uk.d-i-y and mumsnet.com.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Graham. wrote:

I'm sure we all trust mumsnet for penis cleaning information, so why not cooker cleaning too?

Caustic soda on the todger? The mere thought of it brings tears to my eyes.
On 24/10/2018 15:34, Andy Burns wrote:

pathetic
--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people
On 24/10/2018 15:17, Jethro_uk wrote:

The standard way to clean cast iron cookware (pans etc) is to stick them in a very hot oven and leave them awhile. Have a look on Youtube.
The old 'baked on' fat turns to dust and can be scrubbed / washed.
A similar idea to how self-cleaning ovens work- although those, at least ours, seem to get even hotter than the normal max.
--

Smile for the camera ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 14:17:16 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk

If they're simply cast iron, then caustic soda won't harm them. But if they're enamelled, then the caustic may attack the enamel.
Either way, caustic soda solution is nasty stuff, especially if you get it in your eyes. https://tinyurl.com/ybdv89g3 Wear goggles or better, a face shield, and Marigold gloves, as a minimum.
--

Chris

On 24/10/2018 15:17, Jethro_uk wrote:

Some but probably not all. Best way is to get them to red heat in that barbecue tray and burn it all off ..

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 18:01:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Seems +2 for the pure heat treatment.
How I miss oxyacetylene :(