Cleaning cooker cast iron (caustic soda ?)

We have a built in hob, with 3 cast iron pan supports. Which are a pig of a size to work with anywhere.

Would soaking them in a caustic soda solution clean off the accumulated muck and grease without too much harm ?

I might have to rejuvenate a barbecue cleaning tray I used to use ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Caustic soda won't attack cast iron, so worth trying.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

mumsnet says chuck 'em in the bath with some bio washing power and leave overnight ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I suspect it will given time and make it red rusty in the process.

But I think it would be fine for cleaning it of grease with provided that you don't leave it on overnight or something stupid like that.

Wear eye protection and stout rubber gloves as a minimum you really don't want a caustic burn.

Reply to
Martin Brown

or put them in the dishwasher. It will take several goes to get it all off, but it does gradually. Also scrape it when the washer is done, you'll find a lot of it turned to soft goo temporarily.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

My Mum used bio washing powder - it bought stainless steel up a treat.

However I have tried the bio trick with these beasts, and it wasn't really a success (overnight).

Also it's an acrylic bath, so I'm a bit wary.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Hmm ... I guess they might fit one at a time. It's a 4-ring+wok burner, so 3 pieces of iron.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Can't be stressed enough, thanks !

Reply to
Jethro_uk

No, it won't attack iron. Ye cannae meddle with the laws of chemistry.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I may have mentioned this before, my daughter's linguistics dissertation contained a section comparing posts in uk.d-i-y and mumsnet.com.

Reply to
Graham.

The standard way to clean cast iron cookware (pans etc) is to stick them in a very hot oven and leave them awhile. Have a look on Youtube.

The old 'baked on' fat turns to dust and can be scrubbed / washed.

A similar idea to how self-cleaning ovens work- although those, at least ours, seem to get even hotter than the normal max.

Reply to
Brian Reay

If they're simply cast iron, then caustic soda won't harm them. But if they're enamelled, then the caustic may attack the enamel.

Either way, caustic soda solution is nasty stuff, especially if you get it in your eyes.

Wear goggles or better, a face shield, and Marigold gloves, as a minimum.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I'm sure we all trust mumsnet for penis cleaning information, so why not cooker cleaning too?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Caustic soda on the todger? The mere thought of it brings tears to my eyes.

Reply to
NY

Some but probably not all. Best way is to get them to red heat in that barbecue tray and burn it all off ..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

pathetic

Reply to