Fixing a table

We have a table (from Ikea some years ago) made of wood staves, presumably glued together. It's been in our (hot and wet ) consevratory for the past year and I noticed this morning that some of the staves have separated from each other.

I'm wondering if I can fix this, or if I should just demote it for use as a workbench (not a popular option with SWMBO, I'll wager, and it would need cutting down a bit). The only approach I can envisage is to put some glue in the gaps then clamp up tight until it sets (and then a while). Since the problem is really warping in the staves, it would need some pretty special glue to hold them straight, methinks.

I suspect that whatever I do will be undone if it stays in that environment but that's perhaps another story. This would, of course, give me an excuse to buy some large sash clamps, which I've been meaning to do for a while (!)

Any views chaps?

Reply to
GMM

As you suspect it is the fluctuations in humidity and temperature that are causing your problem.

I would use Cascamite glue on it. Its water proof and has some gap filling qualities which ordinary pva does not.

Go ahead and buy the sash clamps you'll always find a use for them, but avoid the cheap cheap ones the heads bend too easily i.m.e. though personally I've switched to predominantly Bessey clamps. pricey but superb.

Reply to
fred

causing your problem.

qualities which ordinary pva does not.

the cheap cheap ones the heads bend too easily i.m.e. though personally I've switched to predominantly Bessey clamps. pricey but superb.

No glue will take well on a wooden surface that has been glued already. Best way may seem drastic. Cut the partially open crack fully, plane the surfaces and glue fresh wood.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

IKEA FFS - just demote it and go and buy another one.

Far easier and cheaper than tooling up to tackle something that is anyway potentially unfixable.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts