Can I put plants right up to the foot of a new wall?

Thios is probably gardening rather than DIY, but here goes anyway: if I build a new wall in my garden, is it practical to sink the footing to enough depth that soil infill above it will be deep enough to sustain ground-cover type planting? I'd like to establish a narrow (maximum six inches if possible) border between the wall and an adjacent patio.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

In message , Bert Coules writes

Weeds will grow there very happily:-)

You might need to plant stuff suitable for low moisture conditions. Silvery leaves?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think that Eric Robson or Pippa Greenwood, if you prefer, would first want to know which way the wall will be running. I suspect they would then tell you to do what you need to do in order that the wall doesn't fall over and would then recommend plants that will flourish in the conditions that remain.

But don't rely on me. I'm a black-fingered gardener and everything I touch seems to die. Except this pot of supermarket basil in the kitchen window which has kept going for over a fortnight - whoopee!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

AFAIK it's up to you how deep your footings are. Three courses down (i.e. a foot) would be ok. More digging and more bricks of course!

Reply to
stuart noble

There are several factors. Some plants do better on the South side of a wall some do better on the North.

A garden wall should be engineering bricks at the bottom which don't suck up the moisture and are frost resistant (and frost resisting at least higher up)

Old walls usually aren't and the soil is dried out.

Reply to
harry

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Some really useful answers, and I'm pleased to know that it will work.

Reply to
Bert Coules

You could plant clematis along the base of the wall, they like these conditions and can give a nice cover. Pick different colours with different flowering periods for variety and long lasting display

Reply to
fred

First tell us which way the wall faces and how high it is.

North facing hydrangea petiolaris does OK but is fairly slow growing. South facing try fig/peach/nectarine/apple/pear according to taste.

Fig will actually enjoy the harsh dry conditions against a wall.

Any other direction wisteria or clematis. Ivy or virginia creeper if you don't mind damage to the mortar and wall.

cross post added to uk.rec.gardening (where they will probably disagree with my crude classification above)

Reply to
Martin Brown

conditions and can give a nice cover. Pick different colours with different flowering periods for variety and long lasting display

Honeysuckle is growing in next to nothing on one of my garden walls (gets plenty of sun)

Reply to
newshound

Odd that. Mine is now flowering for the first time ever, despite no sun to speak of

Reply to
stuart noble