Fisch 4x6 Sanding Center - Repost

I posted this a few days back with no response. Has anyone out there used the Fisch DDS99460 Sanding Center? It's a small 6in disk, 4x36in belt sander benchtop combo. It's available thru Amazon for $109. Looking at the Fisch website, it seems their tools are made in Austria, Germany, and France. Granted this is a small tool, but it looks to be a cut above the Taiwanese stuff. The descriptions I've read on the web for have me somewhat intrigued. It's mainly cast iron, weighing in around 50 lbs, and seems fairly well made. Of course, it's kind of hard to tell when you can't see it in person. The big brother to this machine, their floor-mounted 6x12 sanding center with oscillating belt just got a beaming review in the Novemeber Popular Woodworking. So what's the verdict?

Richard Johnson Camano Island, WA

Reply to
Rich-in-WA

I believe this unit is imported from China? I have a set of Fisch mortise chisel and bits for my mortiser....great quality made in Germany but I would do more research on the sander..

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

The Fisch Website states that they are an American company with manufacturing facilities in Austria, Germany, and France. The price however sure makes China seem a more likely country of origin. I was hoping someone out there had used one of these things. It's sized right for my small shop, but so far all the benchtop disk/belt sanders I've seen have been pretty junky.

RKJ

Reply to
Rich-in-WA

Have seen Fisch's benchtop mortiser and lathe in person. They're definitely from Asia, just like everyone else's offerings at similar prices. haven't seen this sander, but what are the chances anything with both a motor and some cast iron in it that can be sold for $109 is from anywhere else? IME, a big determinant of useful versus junky on inexpensive sanders and grinders is whether the tool rests/fences are capable of holding accurate settings under load...Looks pretty iffy on this one, but who knows...

Reply to
Woodstock

Richard,

I almost bought that at The Woodworking Show last year in Somerset, NJ. They had it for a pretty good price. It was solidly built for the money and more cast iron than most. It was worth the price, but definitely not a heavy duty machine due to its size. If it is there again this year I might take them up on buying the floor model an hour before they close.

Andy, NW New Jersey

Reply to
Andy H.