First coat of finish, fumed cherry clock

Dear All,
I managed to find a few minutes to put the first coat of finish on my little cherry clock tonight,
http://members.rogers.com/dfeisan/images/onecoatfinish.jpg
I fumed it with 26% blue print ammonia in a sealed plastic tent for about 36 hours. For a finish I am using 1/6 pure tung oil, 1/6 boiled linseed oil, 1/3 satin defthane and 1/3 turps. I flood it on, leave it for 20-30 mintues then wipe off all the excess.
You can see a 1" wide board between the two doors that didn't get fumed, but I put some finish on to see the contrast.
I like this better than the lye, Shim, your off the hook, and *much* better than the RBS shtuff. Two or three more coats, some wax, and then it will be, "time for some assembly..."
Thanks,
David.
David -
Where didja get the blueprint ammonia? Is it hard to get/can one get it by mail/UPS????.... I live in a VERY small town (we share 1 dog with the county..) and local sources are nonexistent...
John Moorhead
I'm in the same situation, no printers in the state 8^)
I tried some "janitorial strength" ammonia from the local Ace hardware on some white oak, worked fine!
-Bruce
john moorhead wrote:

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 05:44:53 GMT, "john moorhead"

Hopefully, you get the poopy end while they get the barky end. Check a janitorial supply (in a nearby large town if not your own) for the good stuff. Ditto printers or a local architect who might still do his own prints.
------------------------------------------------------------- * * Humorous T-shirts Online * Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design * * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------------------
John,

I don't know how to help you here. I live in a city of 350K and I just called around to print shops until I found someone who would sell me a gallon.
Thanks,
David.
David F. Eisan wrote:

Thanks for the update!
I notice that on the door, the middle is somewhat brownish while the sides have a more pinkish hue. Is that a sapwood/heartwood difference?
TIA, C
--
************************************
Chris Merrill

Cherry has a LOUSY "profile" for photographs. It always looks blotchy as hell in prints, especially when a flash is used.
------------------------------------------------------------- * * Humorous T-shirts Online * Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design * * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all,

C-Less is correct, there is no difference in the grain in person, my bad flash photography is why it looks the way it does.
When I am done the clock, I will post better photos.
Thanks,
David.
Very nice color. Did you happen to cut a piece off your test fumed piece to see how deep the color went? Joe
David F. Eisan wrote:

Dear Joe,

I cut a board in half and the colour goes all the way through!
This is very nice, no colour layer to break through if you need to sand out something you missed before finishing.
The same thing when I fumed WO, the colour is through and through.
Thanks,
David.