First Clock

This is my first attempt at a clock. Turned out pretty well, though the wife doesn't like the spalted maple back......

Charlie M. 1958

I really like the use of the spalted maple in that application.

Well done.

Reply to
Stephen M

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

looks even better. Nice job on the clock.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thu, Apr 5, 2007, 8:56am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Charlie=A0M.=A01958) doth posteth: This is my first attempt at a clock. Turned out pretty well, though the wife doesn't like the spalted maple back......

Yeah, it did. But I'll side with the wife on the spalted back, it makes it look like something in the top barfed, and it leaked down.

JOAT Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. (I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

Reply to
J T

Thanks, guys. My wife will be glad to hear she's not alone, J T. From here and other sources I've gotten feedback from, most people either find the spalted maple back the best feature of the clock, or else they really don't like it at all.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Thu, Apr 5, 2007, 9:46am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Charlie=A0M.=A01958) doth sayeh: people either find the spalted maple back the best feature of the clock, or else they really don't like it at all.

Just remember, there's only two opinions that count; yours, and your wife's. And yours probably won't count near as much as your wife's. But, for what it's worth, I think that piece would look great as the top of a jewelery chest ot some such.

Keep the cat out of the shop. LOL

JOAT Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. (I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

Reply to
J T

listen to the ones who like it.

I'm one of 'em.

JC

Reply to
Joe

it for real but I assume it will be going in your wife's house so...

I really like this project and I hope you don't have it copyrighted because it just made it to my favorites under 'future project'

RayV

Actually, it's going to my mom for Mother's Day, so SWMBO's opinion doesn't matter this time. :-)

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Now, just who the hell do you think you're fooling? We, you, and SWMBO know that is NOT the case!

;)

Very nice and well done ... I really like the spalting, myself.

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks, Swingman,

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Reply to
Jeff

I really like the spalting also, but I'm not sure I like it with the rest of the clock. The clock face and dark, evenly-colored solid wood case and trim suggest a very nice classical style, and IMO the spalted wood doesn't really fit in. I think if the clock face were simpler, and maybe the top & bottom molding were simpler too, that I would REALLY like it. As others have suggested, though, my opinion really doesn't matter here, and you didn't even ask for it. Out of curiousity, does your wife object to the spalting itself, or to the use of spalted wood in that application? Overall, the wood and workmanship look top-notch - keep up the good work! Andy

Reply to
Andy

Thanks Jeff and Andy.

The way it is designed, the back comes off very easy and I could make a walnut insert so, in essence, it would be convertible. :-)

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Oh, to answer your question, Andy...I'm not sure. LOL! She is not the designer type who can pinpoint her feelings. I THINK she just agrees with your opinion that the spalting does not fit in with the overall design.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Keep your crab-pickin' hands outta my gumbo pot.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Swingman can't help it.

He is a gumbo man.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Mais oui, cher!

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

If you do, send me the spalted back and I will dispose of it for you, just in the interest of marital harmony, you understand. I mean, I would hate for your SWMBO to think that thing was laying around and might show up in some future project.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
shawn