finish for cherry

What finish should i use on a cherry jewelry box ,i live in the UK so some of the terms or products from over the pond i may not be familiar with .TIA F.

Reply to
Me

Most folks consider adding any color to Cherry a crime. Me too.

The October Fine Woodworking Magazine has a nice simple finish that happens to be shown on Cherry. They describe in detail a way to get a good fast finish.

I do a similar finish but ut takes longer.

Sand to 220. Put a single coat of tung oil or biold linseed oil per instructions, just to help increase the contracst in the Cherry and darken it a bit. Then use Shellac. The trick with shellac is to thin it out well and use several thin coats with some 400 or fine grit in between and finally some steel wool and wax.

Obviously, try the f> What finish should i use on a cherry jewelry box ,i live in the UK so

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

yes tung oil then shellac I like to wet sand the last couple coats of shellac by putting down some tung oil then using a wet dry sandpaper. The final step is fine pumice with tung oil before some furniture wax to protect the shellac

the photo doesn't do the box justice but here is a jewelry box I did a couple years ago

Most folks consider adding any color to Cherry a crime. Me too.

Reply to
william kossack

Reply to
Doug Miller

My favorite finish for cherry, especially items which will not see wear and abuse, is natural Danish oil(brand name here is Watco, but I'm sure there are others over your way). After several days to cure, apply several coats of high quality paste wax. It will positively glow, and virtually foolproof to apply.

Reply to
KØHB

Haven't heard anybody mention a couple coats of decent Sears paint yet. humph, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

For cherry? I'd use a couple of coats of latex paint. :)

Reply to
Prometheus

Yellow? In the spray cans?

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Thanks for the finishing tips the oil sounds good (or yellow and red stripes would look different)one of my boxes is on

its in the photos with the welsh dragon .F

Reply to
Me