Festool power tools.

30ips produces a "useable" response to about 30kHz

Correct but you said "reproduced by /vinyl records/....."

The equalisation curve used for 30ips tape is IEC. At lower speeds there is a plethora of standards including NAB.

Reply to
Stuart

Precisely ... that you were wrong in your assumption.

Reply to
Swingman

Not at all. After a peak at about 10k the response is clearly heading downwards at a rate of notts

Reply to
Stuart

Far above your original implication that there was nothing in that frequency range ... but your sudden, Google acquired knowledge is misleading you ... what machine, what head format, what tape formulation, what did you bias for?

Irrelevant ... Google can indeed provide you with information and terminology, but, unfortunately, can't provide you with the basic understanding to properly use it.

Reply to
Swingman

Which microphone is Google confusing you about?

A "flat" response from 20Hz to 20 kHz is just that "flat" .. double your figure "10k" above.

And "notts" being an audio engineering term from what planet?

You are out of your element and Google will do nothing but confuse you further.

Reply to
Swingman

Having worked at Shure Brothers in R&D, I can assure you that the published curves are cut off and do not show full range of response of a microphone, just the human hearing range is referenced. 20hz to

20khz is where you make the mic flat as possible.
Reply to
Markem

Nothing to do with google, I'm quoting manufactures figures here.

Go look yourself at the curves for the microphone I mentioned. 4dB down at

20Hz, notionally flat between 5Hz and about 7K, rising to a peak of +4dB at 10k then rapidly falling off from about 13k to be -6dB at 20k. I would estimate without copying and drawing it out on graph paper (yes I have the proper bode plot paper) it's about -30dB at 30kHz. At your fanciful 50kHz it's out of sight.

Ah, of course, I forgot I'm talking to Americans with their poor education.

"Rate of Notts" - standard expression referring to speed in Nautical miles per hour - Notts. Translation for your benefit - the output is falling very rapidly with increasing frequency.

Oh No sunshine, after nearly 40 years as an electronics engineer I know exactly what I'm talking about but perhaps you'd better stick to woodwork.

Reply to
Stuart

Actually, I've been interested and involved in tape recording since my parents bought a recorder back in the early 60's. Obviously that was a low-end domestic machine but I've had a number of others, and built my own, since. My current machine is a Ferrograph logic 7 but unfortunately it now sits largely unused at the far end of the lounge. For a number of reasons I no-longer have anything to record live and my microphones - condensers and ribbons - have all gone up on ebay but I still have my standard calibration tapes and the necessary test equipment to set everything up.

Sure, I used google to check latest stuff such as current microphone technology and specs but I /know/ at lot more than you think.

With microphone response dramatically falling off and machine response also falling off, let alone your ears, it's largely academic as to whether there is anything above 20k of any significance - or even lower frequencies than that - unless you have the ears of a bat.

For all your ravings about psycho-acoustics you clearly have not understood the work that has been done proving that at higher frequencies (in particular) and below certain thresholds you can actually throw information away without it being noticed by the human brain because of msking effects.

We've drifted a long way from Festool so end of this particular discussion.

Reply to
Stuart

Well, exccccuuusssse me! LOL

Psssst:

Anytime you're ready to compare the number of music recordings you have to your credit as a _recording engineer_, that are being downloaded from iTunes, and being streamed by Spotify and Rhapsody to millions around the world as we speak, among others, let me know. :)

Reply to
Swingman

How convenient ... if you will address the specific points I have made, and provide cites for where you take exception ... and not just general terminology slinging like the above (including the introduction of "nautical" terms into a discussion regarding acoustic principles and their application to microphones and human hearing??) ... I will be more than glad to defend those specific points for you.

But somehow I suspect that will not be the case ...

Reply to
Swingman

HDMI cables, the likes of the ones BestBuy sells, make me laugh every time I see them. $50 for a $3 cable? I think not! I wouldn't be surprised if they made nothing on the electronics, counting on the gravy from cables (and, of course, $5 warranties on $10 purchases).

Reply to
krw

Rethink that. Dust collectors move a *lot* of air. Unless you don't mind replacing that air (and heat), this might not be such a good idea. My compressor lives in the garage, though.

Right. There is no money to made from over-estimating the intelligence of audiophools, though.

Reply to
krw

It may be "well known" but it isn't true.

Nonsense.

You can't be robbed of something that never existed.

Reply to
krw

Even Festool? ;)

Reply to
krw

Cite

Your ignorance is showing. Key words: harmonics and timbre ... Use them to learn something.

Your ignorance is either more profound than your above statements suggest, are you're simply trolling.

Record any music containing an instrument(s) with harmonic content above

22050Hz onto a CD and anything above that frequency will be lost.

Keyword, Nyquist ... Inform yourself before you spout off.

Reply to
Swingman

Of course, its the only frequency range that matters unless you are building mics for special purposes. Looking at curves, however, can give an indication of "where things are going" and if the response has started to fall by 20k its a pretty good sign that it's going to keep heading in that direction. The only design effort put in outside that range is to ensure that "funnies" at higher frequencise don't have any effect within the audio band.

Reply to
Stuart

Ah, of course, I forgot I'm talking to Americans with their poor education. ============================================================= You forget that we do not speak the same language. It's spelled knot around here.

"Rate of Notts" - standard expression referring to speed in Nautical miles per hour - Notts. Translation for your benefit - the output is falling very rapidly with increasing frequency.

Oh No sunshine, after nearly 40 years as an electronics engineer I know exactly what I'm talking about but perhaps you'd better stick to woodwork.

Reply to
CW

And the dust collectors are not really an annoying noise, typically quieter than any of the machines that they are hooked up to.

One odd exception however is my dust collector and my stationary planer. Neither are bad by them selves just running and not working but both together seems to triple the noise at the planer.

Reply to
Leon

Aye, who was it said said "Two nations separated by a common language"?

Mind you, my spelling isn't always that good anyway, especially when I'm feeling annoyed. It should be "knot" round here too and for that I must eat humble pie.

Reply to
Stuart

Use it once and it might be a misspelling ... use it three times, as you did, and it is out of the realm of misspelling and indeed into the realm of "poor education".

So much for Americans being the ones "with their poor education".

Reply to
Swingman