Festool power tools.

closer to the aqueduct to get a look. If I had to go out on a limb, I'd say that the car parks and whatnot where Event City is are probably fenced in, but I'll have a quick shufti if I'm over there this week.

Reply to
David Paste

Looking at Google Earth I think you're probably right, unfortunately the "Streetview" cameras seem to have missed quite a lot. . It's odd really, my wife and I went to a pub for lunch today and, checking it out on "Streetview" before we went, it would appear they drove straight into and round the car-park at the back of the pub!

There's a road (Ashburton Road West) which crosses the canal and there is clear access to the towpath from it. There also appears to be a path from the road swing-bridge to the towpath by the aqueduct so no need to go to any trouble, I'll sus it out when I get there.

It's a waste really. The Merry Hill shopping centre near Dudley has the canal skirting one edge and they've made a feature of it. Landscaped it, put in moorings (I think they want the boaters to go shopping there) built a waterside pub, hotel and cafes along the waterfront. It's quite attractive really. Streetview seems to have covered it quite comprehensively and there seem to be quite a few photographs uploaded to Google earth by visitors.

Reply to
Stuart

Oh yeah, there's certainly no restrictions to you actually getting to it, just not sure about the car park at Even City! But you might find Ashburton RW to be a bit busy - it's a feeder to the industrial units there - I'd be a bit worried about leaving my car around there - lorries need to get things done, you know?! I'd have a quick squizz down Chapel Place, which is right next to the aqueduct. I am pretty certain I have parked down there before.

I know what you mean, but if I remember correctly, Peel Holdings had some plan to make the area around there into a river stop with a service going up the ship canal to the city centre (It could have been on the Bridgewater, but that would seem a bit slow to me). Don't know what happened to that idea though. Would be nice to see it come to fruition, and it would certainly have the chance to compete with the trams to the New Media City complex - I don't know if there is the same speed limit on the MSC as the Bridgewater. I would hope not! I'm not sure what they'd do about the lock at the Quays though - I'd think they'd take up a fair bit of time, so maybe have two boats running on the two sections using the Quays as the hub?

Reply to
David Paste

Plan is to leave the car where it is in the Event City car park and walk.

Well, I'm sure it would have a limit to reduce errosion of the banks but some little time googling has produced no results

Reply to
Stuart

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 23:54:34 -0500, "J. Clarke"

You been hibernating Mr. Clarke? This topic was discussed completely several weeks ago.

Reply to
Dave

Dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've noticed several of his messages seem to appear in a row with various dates. Perhaps his newsserver isn't working correctly.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I too have noticed the same thing. It happened a week or so ago, and I just now got about 10 more of them.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Turns out, as I had hoped, there was direct access to the tow-path, via some gates, from the Barton Square car park so I was able to walk straight along the canal.

I've put up some pictures here of the show and canal

is a straight dump from my camera memory card and I've not had time to edit/sort/label the pics.

For some odd reason Photobucket insists on showing everything in reverse order, so top LH corner of page 1 is IMGP0751.jpg, the last picture I took and IMGP0668.jpg, at the RH bottom of page 4, the first. It was late when I got back, I stuck the memory card in the computer, hit CTRL-A, upload, and went to bed.

I spent a couple of hours in the show first, then met the rest of the family for a sandwich and coffee. Afterwards we walked along the tow-path to the bridge and then back into the show for the remaining time.

Reply to
Stuart

Nice pics, both the show and canal. Thanks for posting them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Good to know. So was the aqueduct all you'd dreamt of?! :-)

transport fell through at the last minute, as is the nature of this sort of thing!

I've got an interest in model boats, cars and trains. Planes worry me for some reason!

Reply to
David Paste