Festool DOMINO - First cut at some web pages on it

Probably should wait to post these URLs but I figure there are some Tool Phreaks out there who want "hot off the press" stuff. Note that I'll be changing things as I refine the info and the URLs may change for some of the pages - but The DOMINO INDEX page URL will remain the same. So here's that Index page URL

are the URLs for two illustrations of the "presets" on the DOMINO. The first gives you the Tenon sizes and mortise width options.

one illustrates the preset options for mortise offsets from a Reference Edge.
are First Cuts at my attempt to show what the DOMINO can do - with preset options. If you have comments, suggestions, questions or constructive criticism - fire away.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Charlie - I would just like to take a minute and let you know how impressed I am with your continuous, informative, and highly detailed posts. While many are content to peruse this group or only post sarcastic, ironic remarks, or make minor corrections to the posts of others, you are a source of wonderment to me. I am not kidding... how in the hell do you find the time to do all the cad work, take the pictures, write the review, sort it out, and post it on your site all in good order?

I hope you have emailed your posts the Festool folks - that is a helluva lot more information in one place on that tool than I have ever seen.

Good job.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Yeah! What he said. Thanks! R!

Reply to
ROY!

I do this stuff for myself. In the process I develop a much better understanding of both the How and the Why of a process, technique or tool. When I'm done, the time and effort to put it up on a web page or two, or ten, isn't negligible. If the info gets someone to try something they didn't think they could do, or helps in a tool purchase decision - well that's icing on the cake.

I'm blessed or cursed with "dry mouth" so I tend to avoid spitting contests. And I'd much prefer to use humor, often at my own expense rather than venom.

Caffiene via good old Classic Coca Cola, a touch of hypoglycemia and a heaping helping of sleep deprivation - you'd be amazed what you can do in 24 hours. If you're a puzzle phreak and like to figure things out, exploring the DOMINO's capabilities and documenting them for future use is a dream come true. This thing incorporates, integrates and improves several existing functions found on other machines - then adds a new capability. Figuring out what the specific capabilities are, how they're set and their results - then illustrating them is interesting and kind of fun.

To avoid duplicating info on the DOMINO, I've been looking at what's already on the web. I really should drop the "What Do You Get" packages stuff and concentrate on What It Does and How You Do That information. I'm studying Festool's selection of presets and trying to figure out why they went with the presets they used because I suspect there are more capabilities than meets the eye and specific applications the tool has presets for.

After I've worked out in my mind (and on "paper") What Does What and How Do I Do That I'll make some samples in wood - with labels and titles etc. then try and find a good home for them so I can find the suckers when I need them. Theoreticals are nice - but a real world sample is better. First think it out, then make the samples - saving some wood for a real world project using this puppy.

Still have the Angled Mortise concept to understand. The Angle part is easy. Where the angled mortise is cut is going to be the fun part.

Thanks. And if you find some ambiguity, or something left out - or an error - please let me know, either here or by private e-mail (yes, I use my real e-mail address). That way the info can be improved and I and anyone else interested may be able to get more use out of this oddly familiar but totally different tool.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Nice start Charley.

What are you using for chip collection?

Reply to
Leon

Wanna take a guess?

Right

- the Festool CT22 (the medium sized one).

Reply to
charlieb

Did you buy the vac at the same time or did you already have it? How do you like it, and or does it have any features that you like in particular other than being quiet?

Reply to
Leon

I run both a ct22 and Fein Turbo II pretty much every day. As far as pure vacuum power, the Fein holds more and (for me at least) and the bags are cheaper. The Fein's by-pass cooling for the motor keeps it cool and quiet. The Fein is also a wet-vac. All around, the Fein feels more industrial.....to me. When clean, they both suck pretty much as hard as each other..at the end of the day the Fein wins out in the shop. It's not as sexy as the Festool. My 2 1/2" hose from my Shopvac fits on my Fein.

Reply to
Robatoy

This is getting embarassing. I already had it. BUT - I did get it in a package deal - with the Festool Barrel Grip Saber Saw. More embarassment - sounds like another Neener. "Needed" the saber saw for one my youngest's projects - a massive black walnut coffee table he wanted a rectangular hole in the top for a "Tea Candle Insert Box" - his girl friends idea/ demand.

It's quiet, sucks a LOT of air, has the option of either manual on/off or controlled by the power tool plugged into it. Wheels are big enough to not get stopped by a pit in the shop floor or a thick rug. There's a lever on the back that dislodges fine dust from the HEPA filters inside (no need to open the thing up and loosen the fine dust). The clincher was that you can stack AND LOCK Systainers on top of it and be able to roll a "system" around. No need for a cart - assuming you don't try to stack ALL the Festool "system" stuff on it. (FEIN - are you listening?)

Robatoy wrote:

The Festool units is also wet/dry - but you need an insert and have to remove the HEPA filters if you?re going to suck up water.

Don?t know if the Fein has a spring loaded cover for the electrical outlet on the unit but the Festool units do. Not good to get crap in an electrical outlet (few hand tools come with a dust port)

The words ?sexy? and ?power tool? should NEVER go together. ?Awesome? (though not ?TOTALLY awesome) all the way to ?Elegant? are appropriate - ?sexy? - NOT!

I found the ShopVac hose to be a PITA on a Dewalt ROS or the PC circular saw. The ?corrigations? are deeper than on the Festool and when they hang on the edge of the stock I?m sanding, or sawing, pull the hose off the tools dust port connection. Happens MUCH less often with the smaller Festool hose - which seems to be more flexible as well. It?s subtle little things that make the Festool stuff a pleasure to use (or at least not a PITA).

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Hey don't be embarrased by what you can afford. I am tired of not having what I want and I ain't getting any younger. I have gone kinda wild in the last 18 months also. Lets see, Stationary Delta planer, Dust Collector, Laguna BS, 22/24 Performax drum sander, 12" Disk sander, Framing nail gun, Pinner, Grippers,,.......

I like the stackable feature, less floor space wasted and that is an asset that is shrinking.

Reply to
Leon

Good to know. I'll have to reconsider the Fein when that day comes. ;~) I have a Craftsman shop vac that works great but I am not going to listen to it any more and I hate to empty that 16 gal container. Bags would be nice.

Reply to
Leon