Making a real wood driver (golf)

Has anyone ever tried this for the fun of it? What resources (books, etc) did you find to be the most useful? What would you have done differently?

Thanks

Todd

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie

If I recall correctly, the heads of woods are made of persimmon.

Reply to
bsa441

Wed, Apr 18, 2007, 11:21am (EDT-3): of_the snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Todd=A0the=A0wood=A0junkie) doth query: Has anyone ever tried this for the fun of it? What resources (books, etc) did you find to be the most useful? What would you have done differently?

I'd go this route.

Guy gets on an airplane with his pants pockets stuffed with golf balls and sits down beside an attractive young lady.

She keeps glancing at his pocket. He eventually notoces, and says, "Those are golf balls".

The young lady thinks about this for a couple of minutes, then asks, "Does that hurt as bad as tennis elbow?".

JOAT I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.

Reply to
J T

I'd go this route.

Guy gets on an airplane with his pants pockets stuffed with golf balls and sits down beside an attractive young lady.

She keeps glancing at his pocket. He eventually notoces, and says, "Those are golf balls".

The young lady thinks about this for a couple of minutes, then asks, "Does that hurt as bad as tennis elbow?".

JOAT I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.

Reply to
Lee

I remember this being written up MANY years ago in Popular Mechanics. IIRC, it was a persimmon/maple laminate. Then shaped with an automatic lathe. Face plate attached with screws, hole for shaft drilled, and finally given a coat or so of laquer.

Reply to
professorpaul