Fein 636-1 RO Sander Again- What would you do?

A few of weeks ago I purchased a Turbo III and a Fein 636 6" RO Sander. I am very happy with the Turbo III. However, my experience with the sander has been less than good. The first one's handle vibrated so much my hand went numb almost instantly. Went back to the supplier and they sent a second one (supposedly after testing it). It vibrates less but still unacceptable. The supplier checked the rest of his stock and it all was defective so he returned it to Fein for inspection. I have this second unit and do not know whither to return it for a Fein tested unit or try to return it and buy a Festool. I went to a WW show yesterday and tried their Fein demo (no Festool dealer there). The rep. and I both agreed that the show model was better than my unit but it's handle still vibrated much more than I expected. I don't see how anyone could use this for more than a few minutes at a time. I am not expecting the unit to feel like an electric shaver but do expect it to be closer to my Metabro-HD 6" RO sander. The rep. also told me that it used mainly for rough stock removal and not for fine WW. More like a belt sander he said. However, as they sell sandpaper up to 400 grit that didn't make any sense to me. So, if you have had any experience with this unit or anything to add, I would appreciate hearing your input. Thanks, JG

P.S.- the main problem with the Festool unit as I see it as the paper for it is not available locally although Robatoy has provided me with excellent alternatives

Reply to
JGS

My local tool dealer has just become a Festool dealer and I was impressed when the rep showed all of their tools. The Rotex that Robatoy always comments favorably about is an awsome sander. That will be my next even though it is hook and loop.

Reply to
Leon

JGS wrote: [snipped for brevity]

Finding Fein hole patterns isn't fun either.

The 8" Fein ROS is a brute. Not comfortable, but has a specific purpose in my work. I will be upgrading to an 11" for that reason.. at least I'll get an induction motor. For a 6", The Rotex 150 Festool blows away the Fein 6". Had the Feins before, but now I exclusively use the Festool. You'll never regret it. I did not like the CT22 sucker from Festool much, but I have one and still use it. The Festool sander is hooked up to the Fein Turbo...best vacuum ever. Fein sells a rubber adaptor that steps down to the Festool, and with a small hose clamp, the adaptor gets onto the sander realllly snug. Then the hose from the Fein slips right is... perfect.

Keep the Turbo, buy the Rotex ...btw, in the 'agressive' setting.. the Festool is almost as fast as a beltsander..with a course grit, holy smokes does that ever remove a lot of material. It also makes it clear why they supply an extra grip.

Somehow, the design of the Festool also allows it to be grabbed by the head with one hand...not for long, because it is heavy, but I do find myself doing that often. How is that for balance, eh?

Any more questions? eMail me.

Robatoy