English wooden moulding planes - anyone still use them ?

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:46:16 GMT, Rick Cook
I make my own. I use waterstones, and I already saw them up for some final sword polishing jobs. A wet diamond tile saw does it fine. If I need a special for a gouge, I can saw one roughly, then sand it to shape with a bit of J-Flex.
You chums need to check this out: eBay 6121191255 you'll like it. Alex
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:40:15 GMT, Rick Cook

I can see that working in an India stone, but for a waterstone any sort of constant radius movement looked like it would very quickly wear a groove.

I'm not a carver, and if I am doing any carving it's almost always in lime or maybe walnut, neither of which are hard on tools. I do try to keep a dedicated area of the workshop for sharpening though, to reduce setup time if I want to quickly hone something.
--
Smert' spamionam

Andy Dingley wrote:

Even in lime (or it's American equivalent, basswood) or walnut you need to hone your tools constantly. Like every few minutes. Trust me, it makes an enormous difference in carving. You can use a stop which will conform to the shape of the tools or you can use the groove method, but in either case it's charged with honing compound.
--RC

You don't need "good", you need "adequate"
"Adequate" means that the mouth is in good order, and with some effort you can get it to work as a plane.
"Good" means that it also has a usable wedge, there's no woodworm, the iron has a flattish surface where it ought to and it's more or less clean. You can live with any of these faults, or re-make broken wedges.
--
Smert' spamionam

I guess I'd only want "good" ones, fettling is hard friggen work as I've discovered. I have now spent many hours doing what I have been reading about since catching interest and getting into this group! That's a big problem with most sellers on eBay concerning these types of planes, is the images they show, far too many are inadequate.
Alex

They never show the profiles !

They also never show how much blade is left, and many really bad, fuzzy pictures. Alex
Alex notes:

And you can bet that in nine cases out of ten, that's no accident.
Charlie Self "Politics, n. Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles." Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
AAvK wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen a moulding plane with significant wear on the blade.
Rust and bad sharpening, rot and worm, yes, often.
But moulding planes have an easy life, compared to bench planes. Often, they weren't even used to create the moulding profile from scratch. Some roughing work was done with other planes (jacks, ploughs, rebates) to remove the bulk of the waste,
BugBear

Here is an exception: item # 6120702585
IIRC, this guy *always* shows the profile and most of the time shows the full iron. In fact, the thumbnail for every one of his current molding planes is the profile.
Here's another one: 6121357999
Unfortunately a lot of the sellers are in the Aunty Cue bidness and don't really know how to sell to users vs collectors.
LD

Great examples, in the normal manner of speaking. Any seller should do the same. Wenner1 is a great seller too, with a perfect record and perfect auction pages. 0 negs and 0 neutrals.
Alex

Even the oldest buildings in Calgary are made of glass. ;-) I'm not surprised that this is the worst place in the world for finding moulding planes, but the abundance that seems to exist in every direction continues to amaze me. I'll have to get out more.

Hmmm...I've been planning a trip north for some time now...

Not using them myself but I want to learn to, I have this idea as a part box / jewelry box making with molding planes, to do both edges in design as well as the top paneling as one uncut board, then do the cutting, miter cutting and any dovetail work after, then assemble. My problem is learning just "what" to buy and know about in these complex planes, including what hollows and rounds are about. There isn't a website I can find that is all about it. Any ideas? Books? unknown websites?
Alex

See:
How to Make Wooden Planes by David G. Perch
Making Traditional Wooden Planes by John M. Whelan
Making and Mastering Wood Planes by David Finck
(I have a copy of the last one and would buy it again.)
Plus a number of books on American and British wooden plane makers.
Also:
http://www.supertool.com/etcetera/wplanes/woodintro.htm

Great references, thanks. I have the one by John M. Whelan already and the designs seem very simplistic from the past, a starting point. As it is now, I am fascinated, but am at a complete novice stage in learning "neander" woodwork so it is a future project. But definitely.
Alex

Give a shout if you find an online source for irons. Thanks.
LD

Shouting,
Both Ron Hock and Clarke and Williams will do custom work.
Alex

Thanks.