dust collector questions

Page 1 of 2
Thinking of getting one. Probably the Jet 1000 with the vortex. But I'm wondering about the collection bags. I haven't located this info online but how often might I need to replace bags and how much do they cost? By replacing, I suspect I just take the bag off, empty the dust collected into a proper trash receptacle, and reinstall the bag. But how often can I do this before the bag wears out and why can't I just replace the bag with a trash can or something like one. Seems it would last longer and cost less in the long run.
The answers are probably common knowledge but they are escaping me right at the moment.
Ralph
Ralph Compton wrote:

The bags are heavy weight cloth. They don't wear out any faster than any other cloth. How often do your much lighter bed sheets wear out?
You could replace the bag with anything you can tightly fit to the chute.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Ralph Compton wrote the following:

I don't have one, but might you be able to put a plastic trash bag into it, lining the cloth bag? That way, you won't have to dump the cloth bag into another container, raising dust or spillage. Just pull the plastic bag out, tie it, and toss it.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Ideally, you would match the fabric area to the CFM output. If you just put a plastic bag on the bottom, it could decrease the total CFM and stress the motor. Time for research!
Cut out a rectangular hole in the outside of the bag hoop and add another welded-in hoop for the extra air output.
-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck
I think I described this wrong. Some collectors have 2 bags, an upper cloth bag as a filter, which never wears out or comes off (or rarely), and a lower, pastic bag, into which the sawdust collects. Eventually this plastic bag fills up and is disposed of. I think.
Actually, the collector I'm thinking of, the DC1100VX-CK has a filter canister instead of the upper, cloth filter, bag but still has the lower, plastic, collector bag. I'm just wondering where to get these lower bags when they wear out and how much of a life span they actually have.
Some dust collectors have the upper cloth bag, or cannister filter, and then a lower collector barrel instead of a bag.

I've had a DC1100 for about 5 years. I'm still using the plastic bag that came with it, but I bought some spares at Woodcraft. Sorry, I don't remember what they cost. The bag has been emptied a number of times and still seems as flexible as the spare bags.
As long as you could come up with as air tight seal on a trash can, I suppose you could use one.
On 11/20/2011 11:15 AM, Ralph Compton wrote:

On 11/20/2011 12:54 AM, Ralph Compton wrote:

You can absolutely use the black 4 mil 45 gallon contractor trash bags sold at Home Depot and most hardware stores. You don't need a clear bag, just feel the side of the bag occasionally.
Keep us posted on your thoughts on the vortex arrangement should you buy one.
Let me throw in this observation. Replacing the bag is an acquired skill. It is a lot like walking and chewing gum at the same time. Easy for some more difficult for a few others. After 5 years I have finally mastered the art of changing the lower bag. ;~)
I remove the pleated top canister and do all of my uninstall and reinstall of the bottom bag through the center opening. Mine does not have the vortex arrangement but.......
The vortex object occupies this space and will necessitate the bag being changed from below the center section.
I would certainly have a sales guy give you a hands on demonstration of how to change the bottom bag out in less that 30 minutes.....
Just something that you should be aware of.
[snipped for brevity]
One thing I find handy, is using 4-5 penny-size rare earth magnets to hold the bag in place till the band gets put on. I used to use tape as my third hand, but that stuff doesn't stick to dust very well.
Magnets are your friends.
On 11/21/2011 10:14 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Until they stick to each other ... :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Leon, I did get the Jet Vortex 1100 with the canister filter. Setup is simple, just follow instructions. I sucked up a bunch of saw dust from my Dust Deputy to see how it works. Did it just fine and it seemed like all the sawdust went swirling down into the plastic collection bag right away. I also needed to dump my shredder waste (crosscut shredder) so brought the basket down to the shop and vaccumed it out with the Jet hose necked down to 2". Did fine and, just like the sawdust, all the paper pieces seemed to swirl down into the plastic bag right away.
I think I am going to have to get some sort of 4" hose that doesn't try to pull away from my 2" equipment. The suction of the DC causes the 4" hose to shrink when I put any sort of restriction on it. Suspect maybe some sort of vaccum relief device?
On a very positive note, I absolutely love how quiet the DC is compared to the SV. And I got one of the remote, wireless, switches from Rockler and that has simplified things too!
Ralph

On 12/10/2011 10:16 PM, Ralph Compton wrote:

Cool! I have been using the "Rockler" 10' clear plastic 4" hoses with couplings to make 20'. The hose is pretty robust and only shrinks up a small bit when totally blocking the end of the hose. There are lots clear wire reinforces hosed out there but the Rockler one is great IMHO.
I'll give the Rockler hose a try. The 10' hose I got at Woodcraft tries to shrink down to around 2-3 feet.
Ralph

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 22:54:20 -0800, "Ralph Compton"

I have a PennState DC, with the two bags, so it's a probably little different than the Jet (I don't see a Jet 1000). When I empty it (not very often) I just beat the top bag so whatever is lodged in it falls to the bottom and then pull off the bottom bag and dump it into a trash bag. I just put the open end of the DC bag into the bottom of the trash bag and pull it up. Since the DC bad is cloth there is no suction to stick them together.
Big suggestion: use a chip separator in front of the DC. This will reduce the dust going into the DC by 75% and make it even easier to clean.
Ralph Compton wrote:

Ralph, two things.
First, no you do not need to dispose of the collection bag, unless you just want to. Its totally your option. However, if you do, I would strongly advise you to put the plastic bag (Yes the large, and cheap, bags from HD or Wal-Mart work just fine) INSIDE whatever originally came with the DC.
Secondly, you really do not need to worry about filtration at all. In fact my DC has no filter bag, or collection bag. I had ther 1,200CFM (claimed) DC form HF and it worked "okay." I then put an additional filter bag on it to increase through put. That worked better.
Finally, I threw away the filter bag, the collector bag, took the motor and impeller and mounted them up overhead in my shop, put a cyclone just upstream (between it and the blastgates) and vented the discharge outside the shop into a little building (3x3x4.5) with a 32gal trash can in it to catch the dust, with a piece of course burlap over the can to keep the dust somewhat contained. It worked a lot better.
THEN, one day I noticed the piece of burlap that I had put over the can was all clogged with dust and pulled off, intending to clean it and put it back on - but got side tracked and just did not get around to it. A bit later, I had something to cut and fired up the DC and it was like a new setup. I had vaccum you would not believe. Needless to say, the burlap stayed off.
Deb
Seems to be a little corn-fusion on the two bags. The upper cloth bag is a filter, where the air generated exits the collector. The lower bag is where the sawdust collects, and that is the one that gets emptied when full. I have a Delta, and after 5 years, have never removed or "cleaned" the upper cloth bag. But the one thing I got was a plastic "cyclone" lid for a 30 gallon metal garbage can. It just lays on the top of the garbage can, and over 90% of the dust collected goes to the metal can. It's a lot easier to dump than unfastening the lower plastic bag on the collector itself. I only end up dumping the plastic bag about once a year, unless I forget to empty the garbage can!
Hope this helps.....

I would also add....... If you use a cyclone garbage can lid, resist the temptation to put a trash bag in the can to make emptying easier. Those bags make funny noises when you start the collector the first time; and they are hell to clean out of the impeller!
Not that I did it our anything. :o)

So you did that *twice*? ;-)
Max

No - I did learn.

OOOOOPPPpsss!
Sorry 'bout that. I thought we had two separate strings going on dust collection.
RonB