Dust Bee Gone?

Page 1 of 2
Any one using this thing?
I'm considering buying one as they seem to have a good reputation, but $40 for a cloth mask seems a bit pricey..
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid 89
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis said:

Not me - and there are no specs on particle size.
I've got this: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID `72
Works pretty well for sanding dust and fibreglass. Especially for $19 w/ dust filters. You can get an Organic Vapor Cartridges as well. Miners use these quite a bit. Published, proven specs.
FWIW,
Greg G.

From their web site:
"Effective down to 3 microns. Not NIOSH or OSHA approved."
Doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence, but there it is.
todd
todd said:

Didn't bother to reasearch it that well, but you are correct. And since the most dangerous are < 3 microns, it certainly does not inspire any confidence at all. Might as well tie an old T-shirt around your head. Oil it up first and it might actually do something useful.
Greg G.
RE: Subject
Moldex 2200 family, at $15/box(10), works for me for dust applications.
Lew

Oh.. it's 3 micron... that must have been on the company page, sorry...

I've got a real good respirator.. Cal-Osha approved double canister something or other.. lol
I'm just looking for a lightweight dust catcher to supplement the nose hairs when turning...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis said:

Sorry, I didn't know. As they used to say on SNL, "Never Mind". Nothing better than a Cabal approved mask. ;-)
Greg G.
"mac davis" wrote

Now I'm certain that you will happy with it, especially if you have facial hair of any kind. I use mine mostly for the incidental dust when using the table saw, jointer, Multi-Router, cleaning/blowing out the shop/tools, etc., and even for some sanding tasks ... go for it!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
on 1/6/2008 2:27 PM mac davis said the following:

Looks and sounds like plain microfiber cloth (polyester blend). .
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Well, hell ... let me apparently be first who actually knows/uses the damn thing to reply without conjecture.
I have one and I use it ... works great if you have a beard/goatee/mustache, is very comfortable, can be washed, and inarguably one helluva lot better than nothing at all!
I would buy it again, and will when/if this one ever wears out.
My tuppence ... I don't think you'll be sorry.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
Swingman said:

Leave it to you to interject experience into a perfectly good line of speculative BS. Oy, forty bucks doesn't go far these days. And that's _not_ conjecture. ;-)
Greg G.
"Greg G." wrote

LOL ... a little over 10 gallons of gas? ... maybe.
... and no one asking "would you like fries with that?"
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

17 or so gallons here... we're at about $2.20 for unleaded..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Thanks, Swing... that's exactly where I'm at..
I have a beard & mustache which makes paper masks and my canister respirator a big enough PITA that I don't put 'em on.. This looked like something that I'd actually keep in a pocket or something and actually use..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:27:14 -0800, mac davis wrote:

I bought mine at least 15 years ago - it was a lot less then :-). But it doesn't fog my glasses, fits over facial hair, and, at least to my perception, doesn't make my face as warm as a paper mask. I know at least two other turners who swear by theirs as well.
My only complaint is that I bought mine (from the inventor) about two weeks after I bought a package of 100 paper masks - I've still got those :-).

Cool.. I need to put in an order tomorrow, I'll add one to it.. Thanks!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Yo, mac!I had planned to go fishing in your neighbourhood some day. (Key West is so gay...) but now this: Is that for real? http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt_top.jsp?news_id=ap-d8tvsnt80&.html

Nah... that's talking about mainland Mexico and the TJ area...
We're near a fishing village 100 miles south of the CA/MX border and crime here is really not an issue... It's a hell of a lot safer here that in Fresno.
Come on down!! Bring your daughter if she can get the time off... She'll have a blast here.. We've got a guest room and bath right off the shop.. how's that for convenient? lol
Fishing here ranges from standing on the beach to week long trips and everything in between.. http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx/fishing/index.html
B R I N G W O O D ! ! ! !
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
It is the only mask I can teach students with, it doesn't muffle the voice & my glasses dont steam up .
The students get the disposable paper masks.

Good info, Sam.. thanks I ordered one yesterday..