One less thing

That I need to do . Today I picked up a slightly used 2.5 gallon point of use water heater , and got it installed under the house right below the kitchen sink . The sink/dishwasher are far enough from the main tank that it takes a while to get hot water there . Makes the dishwasher run longer because it has to get the water up to temp . Now we get 140° water from the sink faucet in less than 5 seconds . That means that basically we'll never run out of hot water there , by the time this little tank is out the main has gotten hot water there . This makes the wife happy ... and we all know how important that is !

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Makes 'em quieter too!

Reply to
Frasier Crane

Check the utility bill.

Reply to
Thomas

I doubt there will be much impact on the utility bill ... if there is , that unit will be wrapped in fiberglass insulation .

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

OK , just checked . The case of the unit is at ambient , but the copper lines I plumbed it with are warm to the touch . Tomorrow I'll get a new length of pipe insulation and rectumfry that situation .

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Is this water heater "under the house" or in the cabinet below the sink?

How is it wired up?

Where does the T&P pipe run?

Reply to
catalpa

On 6/23/2017 9:08 PM, catalpa wrote:

It's under the house , in the 4 1/2 foot high space under the kitchen area . The house is built on a slope , the bedroom on the other end has only enough crawl space to get under there . It's plugged into an outlet I installed for it , since the install manual didn't call for a dedicated circuit it shares a 20 amp breaker with the washing machine - though I may move the power supply over to a breaker I'll be installing for a couple of outlets in the cellar . This unit only draws 12 amps, rated1440 watts with a 15 minute recovery time . I don't think it will run much , it takes about 2 minutes to get hot water to the sink/dishwasher from the main 40 gallon tank - and six seconds now to get 140° water at the faucet. I considered an on-demand recirc system , but that would still cause the dishwasher to get cold water at first , which causes extended wash times . It would also cost more to install and waste more energy . The TPR has a short stub right now but will have a 1/2 inch PVC pipe to the outside as soon as I get a couple of fittings. The house is still under construction , we're building it out of pocket as we get the money . Changes are pretty easy right now , so I'm making sure I have it right before I do the stone (from rocks on our land) on the lower part of the walls . We still haven't decided whether we want white oak split shakes on the upper walls or white oak board and batten . Either way the siding will come from trees on our land .

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs