Dust-bee-gone mask

I'm tired of not being able to see after a few minutes of wearing a mask and goggles, so I've started looking for something better. Mac davis made a suggestion a short time ago in another thread for the dust-bee-gone mask, so I've been looking at that.

I have both glasses and a beard, which is one reason mac's comments interested me.

Does anyone have any comments, good, bad or otherwise?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Puckdropper" wrote

I've use one, with both beard and shop glasses. Have two, but they're also washable. Pricey, but worth the price as I'm somewhat allergic to walnut dust/smoke and it has allowed me to use a lot of walnut.

Thumbs up.

Reply to
Swingman

I really appreciate mine... It's the only mask that I can make myself wear..

Not much good for fine particles, but better than not wearing a mask..

Oh.. besides being (hand) washable, I use it damn in the summer.. Very refreshing and probably a bit more filtering..

Key thing is to follow their directions.. I know, nobody wants to RTFM, but if you follow your instinct on fitting, it will be too tight and not seal... MUCH more comfortable a bit loose and at the angles the instructions show..

The only time it fogged my safety glasses was when I had it too tight and the mask couldn't seal on my nose..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I wear glasses and the mask works the best of anything I currently have.

It is pricey but it can be washed and it does seem to stop most fine dust.

I also use a 3M "half mask" which isn't too bad, but still annoying for long periods.

If you are us> I'm tired of not being able to see after a few minutes of wearing a mask

Reply to
Pat Barber

I don't have a beard, but I do wear glasses. I've got a dust-bee-gone that I've been using for 15 years or so. If it fogs your glasses, you've got it on wrong (probably too tight).

I know a lot of woodworkers that use one and I've never heard a complaint, except about the price. And if I amortize the cost of mine over 15 years, that doesn't seem a valid complaint :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Pat Barber wrote in news:9sNCk.238855$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Many of the various face shields I've seen still recommend wearing safety glasses underneath. I'm guessing that's to meet ANSI/OSHA standards.

You'd still need the dust mask with the shield, right?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I've got the Lee Valley face shield (link above) and I'd consider it only as protection from flying projectiles, small and not too big. When using the router and sometimes with the table saw, swirling saw dust gets in behind the face shield all too often. Ideally, one would want to use a face mask that seals against the skin or accompany the face shield with a dust mask and sealed eye protection of some sort.

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote in news:3a509$48dca666$cef88bc5$ snipped-for-privacy@TEKSAVVY.COM:

I like the Triton positive air pressure space suit head piece, but it did cost a lot. Now my glasses stay clear, and my beard too.

Reply to
Han

Han wrote in news:Xns9B2548BAEAD75ikkezelf@199.45.49.11:

Thanks for the suggestion, I just looked in to fan powered masks. They're a little more costly than my level of woodworking would seem to require.

I might change that opinion when we finally get some of the junk out of the garage so I can use my Christmas present lathe.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Puckdropper" wrote

Uhhh....., would that be this Christmas??

Or last Christmas?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Larry Blanchard wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm:

I came across a few complaints looking through Google Group archives, but most everything recent has been positive. I'll probably give it a try.

Thanks

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:OpCdncY31vAAQ0HVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Last Christmas... (looks away, ashamedly.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Upscale" wrote in news:a9a68$48dcdf59$cef88bc5$ snipped-for-privacy@TEKSAVVY.COM:

I've still got the browser up... it'll only take a second to retrieve the Woodcraft product page.

Puckdropper

How much is "cost a lot"? Got a link to their website? I'm guessing that after I find out what they cost, I won't complain near as much about my face shield, dust mask and eye protection.

Reply to
Upscale

If possible, borrow one first.. It's a great setup IF you use it..

My brother bought one but doesn't wear it as much as he used to, mainly for comfort and "suit up time" restrictions..

We should ALL be wearing ventilated face shields and such, but most of us are almost as lazy as I am, so we don't..

For me, the dust-bee-gone and safety glasses are a good compromise, as I will wear them, while my face shield looks down at me from a shelf and my respirator is in a dust-free drawer.. ;-[

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Well, now that you've got me thinking about it, I have a 3M OSHA helmet that I modified years ago for blowing snow up on an open 60 HP tractor. I wear glasses and when the wind-driven snow blows my way, my glasses not only fog up, but get covered in snow. I didn't have the backpack filter system, so, I added an axial heater and axial blower to the intake of the thing. In that case, I used 12 volt stuff and plugged it into the cigarette lighter socket on the tractor. It worked fine. Now that you point out the issue, I think I could update it to 120 volts, skip the heater and have the problem solved.

----It's the kind of helmet that would be used for sandblasting and grinding in industrial applications.

Pete Stanaitis

Puckdr> I'm tired of not being able to see after a few minutes of wearing a mask

Reply to
spaco

That is an excellent description of how most folks think and work.

mac davis wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Yep.. and I'm guilty of it, Pat...

Now, if I was doing a lot of router work like you do, I'd try really hard to wear hearing protection, though..