Really stupid musings, sorry 'bout the waste of bandwidth

To all of you woodworking Frank Zappa fans; I just got my Domino Friday and have been using it all morning and the song that keeps running through my tiny little brain is a version of DOMINO-HUM. Marc (who should be "outside now" because it is sunny and in the high 50s)

Reply to
marc rosen

a+ for being a zappa fan but the song is DYNAMO HUM. So you'll just have to go out and buy a dynamo. :D

Reply to
kzin

Let's just hope you're not using it for what Zappa does in the song.

Reply to
Jarhead

Sounds really painful...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I cut about 60 mortises with mine today, nothing running through my head. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

But you get a B - for spelling it wrong. It's Dinah-Moe Humm. I saw Frank perform it- and a host of other fine tunes - in '74. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Now you're in trouble. Things you either used pocket screws or just took off the list because cutting a bunch of mortises is just too time consuming

- and that's after you've done all the layout lines - go to the top of the list. And things you didn't even think of before go on the projects list. Tables with aprons and stretcher - loose tenoned together - will start to proliferate. Fence gates with mitered corners on the frame - with four loose tenons per joint - and loose tenoned filler boards are in the works, ...

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Hello Charlieb (And Leon and other Domino users, please chime in too), Thanks for your comments about doing more (in less time, etc.) One of my mini projects today was making a clamping table that could allow me to hold down an almost unlimited variety of pieces for motising with my DOMINO-HUM. The first few times I was using it (not the table, but the Domino) I was a bit overwhelmed with the best way to hold the pieces because my current set up was two work benches that are usually cluttered with stuff. My new table has two semi permanent Pony hold down clamps and a couple of toggle clamps and since it is semi portable I will store it against a wall until I need it and then lay it on a partially cleaned off workbench. Anyway, what do you guys- or gals- use as a hold down for your Domio'ing? Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

It was slower than pocket hole screws but I built a cabinet this weekend and used the Dominos to attach all the face frame parts together and to attach the face frame to the carcass, all during the same glue up. 30 Domino's, 60 mortises and the carcass front edges glued up fine but what was I thinking. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Like all of us, you have a nifty new tool and are exploring its possible uses. :-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yeah, 8 months later and I still find new things to do with it.

The cabinet I am building will fit in the void left in a cabinet when I removed a double oven in a 35 year old kitchen. The sides of the cabinet will not show after sliding the cabinet into the void. The new cabinet has a shelf midway up and I used 2 finish nails on each side to tack the shelf into position and then I used the Domino to plunge through the sides of the cabinet and into the side edges of the shelf, 4 on each side. Then I glued and pounded in 8 Dominos to permanently fasten the shelf in place.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

i am sorry Leon, I just can't help myself....

But isn't this cabinet sorcery illegal, immoral or unethical?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Leon"wrote

You're still finding uses for that Domino, eh? :)

That's exactly the way I joined the vertical dividers to the top and bottom of the dovetailed sideboard case I made recently, except that I used a plunge router to cut the "mortises" ... "through tenons" the easy way, and hell for stout.

Would have been much quicker with the Domino. That's one slick tool.

Reply to
Swingman

GREAT GOOGALY-MOOGALY!!!!!!!

And don't go where the huskies go, and don;t you eat that yellow snow.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx