Last Thursday evening, we brought our two Labrador Retrievers to the
vet because they were both having ear problems. She prescribed a
medicine and gave us a little warning that sometimes the medicine make
some dogs pee a little more than usual.
When I got home from work on Friday my daughter told me that when she
got home from school, there was a pee puddle on the kitchen floor 4
feet wide x 6' long, which she dutifully cleaned up. No big deal -
the floor is vinyl and it just took a little work to clean up.
On Saturday morning, my neighbor called and asked if I could help him
with a small woodworking project. He brought his item over; we worked
on it and had it pretty much done except for cutting a few filler
strips on my new table saw in my basement shop.
This was table saw is my current pride and joy,. I upgraded to the big
Ridgid tablesaw from a small Makita benchtop model. This was after
carefully figuring what I needed and what I could afford and seeing
very good reviews for this saw. I saved for it by putting my leftover
pocket money in a tin at the end of every week. Three times I almost
had enough money to buy it but something came up in the family that
needed the money more than me getting the saw (graduation presents,
etc.). Finally, after more than two years, I was able to actually make
the purchase a few months ago. To me, it's a beautiful saw; smooth as
silk, very precise and one of my favorite tools. I really enjoy using
So you can probably imagine the shock I felt as my neighbor and I
approached the saw in my basement shop and saw that the entire top was
covered with thick, crusty, bright orange rust. I couldn't imagine
where any water might have come from. There was a pipe above it, but
that was bone dry. There were no other possible source or signs of any
leaks. I got out my laser plumb bob and put it at what appeared to be
the center of where the rust started and it pointed up exactly to a
speaker wire, coming through a tiny hole in the floor - right under the
wall that the dogs gigantic pee puddle was up against. The ligh bulb
went on as it all came together. Th pee went under the baseboard, under
the sole plate and found the tiny speaker wire hole, right over my saw.
There is absolutely no one to blame except bad luck.
I scraped the crust off, steel wooled it, wiped it down with
penetrating oil , leaving a heavy coat to soak. Most of the rust is
gone but it is stained all to hell and has some minor pitting. It's
like getting a brand new car keyed in a parking lot - a real kick in