edge glue PT Lumber

I need to edge glue 2 5" sections of 1 inch (dimensional not nominal) PT lumber for a custom fabricated tread ( i need to match the existing treads so off the shelf lumber won't work). I am going to glue backers to span the glue joint on the underside of the tread leaving gaps for the stringers. Would gorilla glue work? BTW the PT lumber is dry ( as PT lumber goes)

Thanks Scot

Reply to
srazor

Gorilla glue should work OK for that. Many glues won't work on pressure treated lumber but I've had success with Gorilla glue on an outdoor PT projects and it has held fine for several years. Using backers on a glue joint in a stair tread is a very wise idea even if the boards span the risers. In my application I didn't need my life to depend on the glue joint. It has held together fine but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Reply to
Charley

Yep...but wear gloves when messing with that glue. It will leave a nasty stain on bare skin.

I been keeping a box of nitrile gloves around and I use them for everything.

srazor wrote:

I need to edge glue 2 5" sections of 1 inch (dimensional not nominal) PT lumber for a custom fabricated tread ( i need to match the existing treads so off the shelf lumber won't work). I am going to glue backers to span the glue joint on the underside of the tread leaving gaps for the stringers. Would gorilla glue work? BTW the PT lumber is dry ( as PT lumber goes)

Reply to
Pat Barber