Drill Press with Wheel instead of 3 handles

Page 1 of 2
On every drill press I've seen and used, the drill head has been moved up and down by a 3 handled spindle. Moving it up and down large distances requires the use of two hands, one to keep the head from retracting and the other to switch to the next handle.
Rather than the 3 handles, are there any drill presses out there that use a wheel to advance the head? Am I missing major drawbacks?
Puckdropper

What are you doing with the other hand that you can't use it? <G>
Max

For me, that would be carpal tunnel syndrome, weak hands, arthritic fingers, amassed scar tissue from countless sprains and bumps and bruises. I like the ability to adjust the pressure I put on the handle, although I don't like it when you reach the end of your travel, and you have to get hold of the next handle on the three spoked versions. I think if you were only doing light pressure work with a wheeled type, it would be beneficial and a little more precise.
Must be some reason, as I've never seen one. One would not be hard to build, then test and find the weak spots.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Download the book $10 http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
Just saw a review of benchtop drill presses. The craftsman had a great handle. It stuck out at a right angle and allowed one grip, the handle rotated. Much like the wheel you your tablesaw.
On 2/14/2011 9:36 PM, Steve B wrote:

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 18:36:32 -0800, "Steve B"

I've seen them with hand-wheels from the factory - can't remember what manufacture - and I've also seen quite a few with aluminum or zinc "V" belt pulleys installed to take the place of the handles. - you know, the 3 spoked "utility" type pulleys.
I remember one old drill press used to be in a machineshop in my home town years ago that had a wheel with a self-retracting knob - with it flipped out you could wind it quickly, and with it retracted you could hand-over-hand it quite accurately. It was almost like a flywheel. It MAY have been made by the machinist himself, as he built a LOT of his own machinery, and modified most of the rest.
" although I don't like it when you reach the end of your travel, "
Well then, how about a Wheel with one of those knobs attached? I think those that were sold to be attached to the steering wheels of cars were referred to as "Suicide Knobs," but that might just have been "my crowd."
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 07:47:22 -0800, Hoosierpopi wrote:

We called them that as well.

The story I heard was that was because some people managed to get their shirt sleeves tangled up in the thing and got into accidents.
I remember driving old trucks that had big steering wheels and needed a lot of turns to turn the vehicle sharply. We installed those knobs on them. Back in the day before power steering.
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:36:37 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

I had one on my '57 Chebby. It really took a lot to turn that 22" steering wheel, too. The few times I lost my grip on the suicide knob, I ended up doing bodily harm to myself. (once, a fist in the nuts) Yeah, they were dangerous, alright.
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

For awhile, I used one on my '64 Rambler station wagon . The car didn't have power steering and the one handed quick steering action was fun to use, but I do admit that it always made me feel a little aprehensive. I had visions of the knob breaking off the steering wheel while I was using it.
Michaels" says...

Back in the days when bench seats were standard they were called "necker's knobs" as they made it easier to drive with one hand on the wheel and one hand on various parts of the passenger's anatomy.
The major safety concern at the time IIRC was that in a crash one was likely to recieve significant blunt force trauma from the knob (I don't think they called it "blunt force trauma" at the time but don't recall what term was used).

Bet the guy never complained either, eh?
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 07:47:22 -0800 (PST), Hoosierpopi

"Necking knobs" on the 55 Chevy - "thumb busters" on the 44 Massey!!!!
I recently got a Suicide Knob for my riding mower, for use when the snow plow blade is attached. Got it at the local NAPA store. I wasn't sure they even made them anymore.
As to the drill press, I'm going to look into a wheel for mine. Sure seems like a good idea. Metal would be ideal, but I might see if I could make one from wood. Maybe 1-2" thick, 10" dia. Have to see how to attach to the drill press.
rich wrote:

I can't see how a wheel would be any advantage. If you are going to have to reach up and grab another knob, you would have to reach up and grab a new spot on a wheel. Why not just put a spinner knob on one of the three handles. Seems like a wheel would get in the way more.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
On 2/16/11 3:53 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:

DING DING DING DING!
--

-MIKE-

Take a look at this Craftsman handle.
Looks like a good idea. I wonder if you can buy the handle and retro fit to your unit. http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00921914000P?vName=Power+Tools+%26+Equipment&cName=Power+Tools&sName nch+Power+Tools&prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=L5
On 2/16/2011 4:53 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:

The three handles are a pain in the ass but a wheel would be just as hard to shift grabs. As most know when you need to "regrab" the wheel / lever wants to return to the full upright position again.
The suicide knob may work but the torque and lack of leverage may be a problem for tougher "presses".
Some sort of two level gearing would be real nice. High ratio for fast turning and low ratio for the actual "press" and contact part f the operation. Sound too complicated to implement? There used to be a old high-low bicycle transmission that would change by jerking the peddle backwards. I was never sure how it worked.
Perhaps a sliding suicide knob that can implement quick turns when retratcted into the centre of the wheel and then slide out for better leverage and pressure? Spring return to centre of wheel, of course.
rich wrote:

.
Puckdropper wrote:

Am I missing major drawbacks?
Leverage (how big is the wheel)? I suspect the popular 3-handled solution is the result of the fact that the 3-handled solution is probably comparatively pretty cheap. When I read reviews, I see complaints about things as seemingly-simple as depth stops. Intuitively, it seems a wheel might be nice for very precise drilling applications where you are drilling holes with little depth. Lathes and TSs use wheels...
Bil

A 12 inch pulley gives about the same leverage as most 3-bar handles and gives you the infinite control as well.