drill press lathe?

Well, it looks like a cheap way to product some pens....
Anybody tried it? Thoughts? Comments?
david
--
So, we've got Uday and Qusay. Now, how about the Eapons-way of Ass-may
Estruction-day?
So, we've got Uday and Qusay. Now, how about the Eapons-way of Ass-may
Estruction-day?
Grizzly.com has a hobby lathe that uses a drill as a headstock and it works pretty good for doing pens and small items. go to http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=H2669 Also Harborfreight has a decent collection of lathes for short money. I just purchased a lathe from them for $269 ( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber4706 ) and it's pretty much the same as the Jet JWL1236/708352 12" Variable Speed Wood Lathe with Stand (which sells for $600 +) Be careful of buying lathes from Ebay unless it's a name brand you can check out on the net. My first lathe was a No-Name lathe and I couldn't find chucks and accessories to fit it.. -Wayne

I posed this question once and the majority of the replies had to do the inconvenience of working vertically. I have a big floor DP. If you have a smaller one, I suppose you could always lay it down. Mark from Pasadena, MD
D K Woods wrote:

Ramsey wrote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Sat, Aug 23, 2003, 12:12pm (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@cox-internet.com (Ramsey) Your bearing are designed to handle a thrust load-not a sideways load. I would not try. Sure, it might work for a while but when it didn't, then you have a major problem. <snip> ****************************************************** Ramsey is correct. I ruined the bearings in a perfectly good drill press by using it as a router.
Peace~Sir Edgar