door sprung - hanging no mortise hinges

Maybe someone has ideas. I'm using no mortise hinges (not wrap around) on doors. When I put the first one on the hinge seems like it's "sprung" for lack ofa better term. The far side of the door protrudes ~3/8" in front of the frame and doesn't sit flat. Both frame and door sides are 90 degrees to their faces. Any ideas on why this is happening? TIA

Reply to
me

The back of the hinge edge of the door is hitting the stile or frame.

If these doors are of any size, you would do well to loe the no mortise hinges...it is the mortise that holds up the door.

Reply to
dadiOH

Can you point us to a link to the type of hinge you are using?

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

It's

the middle isn't notched. go to more info tab. the hinge I'm using is on the right.

Mike O. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
me

Are the screws flush with the face of the hinge? If even one is hanging out a little (on either the door or the cabinet) it will hit there before the door is closed.

You might try cutting a notch in a piece of paper (so you can hold on to it) then stick it through the crack at the hinge and closing the door on top of the paper. You would expect to just see the little square smashed out of the paper. You might be able to see if it's hitting somewhere else.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Read some of the review comments from the Rockler web site regarding these hinges. The screws are obviously crap. If you knew that and purchased some replacement screws maybe the problem is that the heads do not flush down into the counter sunk hole. Note that above flush screw heads is a very common problem with this type of hinge.

28) Submitted by John , from Winston Salem, NC on 11/20/2007 I was surprised to discover that these hinges do not maintain square if installed on anything other than "exact" 90 degree corners/edges. My project involved doors with small outside radius' so therefore the hinge (door side) when installed, did not result in a true 90 degree relative installation. As a result, the doors were "spring loaded" and did not close, thus the magnetic catches would not hold. I have since ordered replacements (31313) to hopefully solve this problem. 29) Submitted by Brad, from Austin, TX on 3/2/2008 These hinges are just what I needed for the project. The only problem I had was that the furnished screws did not seat flush in the countersunk hinge holes, thus keeping the door(s) from closing totally without marring the edges. I reamed the countersinks slightly, making them deeper - that took care of the problem. I am pleased with the results. 31) Submitted by Joe Wlostowski, from Johnson City, NY on 12/31/2007 The use of non-mortise hinges is great. The only complaint I have was that each hinge was bent and had to be straightened in a vise. I purchased nine sets in two different orders and all were bent 34) Submitted by Bill Bonner, from Austin, TX on 12/21/2008 Supplied screws either broke into or completely striped the heads due to the soft metal used. I had to drill out the broken shafts or cut out the stripped heads and use different hardware in order to use these hindges. My advise is to throw away the supplied hardware and use harder screws to start with. 44) Submitted by Pete Schendel, from Helena, MT on 2/25/2010 I used these hinges on an entertainment center with three inset glass doors. This is my first experience building and installing doors. Two of the doors would not close completely until I removed the set screw in the edge of the door. One of the hinges was bent when it arrived and had to be worked on my anvil to get it flat. One door still does not close perfectly. May be my construction but I feel the bad hinge may be the problem. I guess I should have returned the bad hinge. The wrap around section of the hinge for the door appeared to be less than 90 degrees which could have caused the problem with the door not closing. Quality control seemed to be lacking.
Reply to
Michael Karas

Thanks for all the responses. Cox shutdown it's news so I had to find another provider. I solved the problem by putting a very thin shim under the outside edge of the hing on the face frame of the cabinet. I was also looking around. Lee Valley sells adjustable non mortise hinges for ~$7 pair vs. the $20 that Rockler wanted. Would've saved me hours of adjustment. Don't know how you really are supposed to get these hung correctly the first time without any adjustment mechanism.

Reply to
me