Does this look safe?

Just Wondering wrote in news:546d3197$0$18058$882e7ee2 @usenet-news.net:

BTDT -- wondering what kept making these odd little red spots on the maple. Fortunately, hydrogen peroxide took care of the stains...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Poloroid instant camera circa 1960? :)

I had one in 1970 ~ about five minutes for it to develop and then a few minutes for the sealer to work. About ten minutes time for each black and white picture. Not exactly mobile phone speed, but all in all not too bad for that era.

Reply to
upscale

----------------------------------------------------- Late 50's

A displacement transducer connected to an amplifier which in turn serves as an input to a scope equipped with a Polaroid used to capture pictures of scope traces of drop tests.

Next sit down at your desk and using an engineer's scale, measure the traces and integrate the area under the curves to determine the amount of energy absorbed by the test piece (Rubber draft gears used on railroad cars).

I was doing this as a co-op student while the Ruskis were developing Sputnik along about then.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yabbut, but where's the url go?

:)

Reply to
Swingman

Morse code. ..- .-. .-..

:)

Reply to
upscale

That's spelled o-i-l, not u-r-l. And anyway, I think it was more like lacquer.

:)

Reply to
Greg Guarino

A carbide router bit will slice through aluminum almost as easily as a hard wood. In fact I sometimes will use a carbide router bit on one of the CNC mills in a pinch of I can't find a carbide end mill that is perfect to do the job. I would not trust a finger indent to protect me at all. The red anodized finish is slightly harder, but it still won't even slow the cutter down. However making something like this with a handle and/or clamping rod so your hand is NEVER moving directly towards the cutter would not be too difficult. Sharp cutters would certainly be the ticket with any finished edge.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

This jig for doing the job looks like it would be much safer:

Considering the number of machined and anodized parts it looks like a fairly reasonable price. Especially for an American manufacturer.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It does look better but unfortunately it was a one time tool and it may or may not ever become available again.

Reply to
Leon

On a positive note, it would not be a difficult tool to make for anybody with a CNC mill or even a reasonably rigid CNC wood router.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

If they had a CNC mill or router they probably would not even need the jig.... ;~)

Reply to
Leon

That is Norm Thinking. Everybody doing wood working does not have the cash so they could by a CNC Miller or a 50 inch sander like Norm uses.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I have a very small CNC wood router, and a couple CNC Mills, but I often find some jobs (especially one off jobs) are faster to do with manual tools. Sometimes I make tools or jigs to make manual machining and cutting easier. Sometimes I make jigs to make CNC machining easier too. LOL. (Usually for setting up the work piece repeatably, or aligning multiple parts cut separately.)

As to Wood Peckers since they make the tools they sell (or a lot of them anyway) I suspect that anything they have a large demand for they will run a batch of, but setting up to make one or two just isn't cost effective for them.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" wrote in news:m4oe9m$ouv$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I've been thinking about picking up a CNC Mill. Have you tried doing square inside corners like window cut outs? One of my primary uses would be cutting out styrene for model kits, but I say that knowing I bought a lathe for model railroad work and only used it for that twice. :-)

This is a simple building, but I'm hoping a CNC mill would let me do more complex projects:

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If you mean to profile cut the inside of a square or rectangle then the sharpness of the inside corner of your final cut is limited by the radius of your cutter. Depending on the exact application this is often dealt with by doing a corner over cut operation. I imagine for something like glass hung with glazing compound it would be no big deal, but for other operations not so much. Note, thoyugh that there are other reasons windows and window frames are cut out of multiple pieces and assembled. Even mass produced machine built windows like Pella or Milguard.

.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I can grok.

A few years back I bought 1 100 or so old dorm desks (solid oak) at auction for $0.50 each, all had drawer dust panels made in part from masonite. Anyhoo, I have 100's of 17"x15" pieces of this stuff and it is the "go-to" stash for router templates. Thin double stick carpet tape, a spiral cut pattern bit in the router table and Bob's your uncle!

The key to making that cut in the video safer is to bandsaw close to the finished curve. Much less for the bit to grab and toss and less chance of splitting/tearout. Wood species also changes the comfort level. Cherry is wondeful, Oak is not too bad, Hickory and cedar are basically just scary.

-Bruce

Brewster

That is the impression I get with the Woodpecker's stuff. It's very well machined (I have one of their router lift inserts), but it is obvious they have a large investment in CNC machinery and aluminum stock. Many of there products seem to be something overkill trying to find a need and of course keep there factory in use. If you are a production shop, then maybe some of these things make sense, but I cringe when I see their latest aluminum measuring/marking stuff and wondering what would happen if I dropped it on the concrete floor. Other things like fancy table saw setup fixtures, great for getting the job done but how many times do you need to set up your saw?

-Bruce

Brewster

It actually doesn't look that dangerous. The whole jig would need to slide off the work almost completely in order for it to get into the router bit's cutting edges. But it's certainly possible, and if it ever did happen, the results could definitely be disastrous... and we all know how quickly those kinds of disasters happen with power tools.

The bigger question for me is why would I ever need this? I never had one. Any shop with a real need for it would build a more safe and secure version from scrap parts at no cost except the fabrication time.

Honestly, I believe it's another unnecessary item marketed to newbies with more money than sense or ingenuity, and who still have not yet soiled their shorts doing something really stupid.

John '10 Fingers' Paquay

Reply to
John Paquay

Yep, only three steps.