I am renting a room in a very old house (old enough that it has push-button style electric switches) on the coast of Northern California. This is a picture of the bathroom. As you can see, there is this black stuff that seems to be mixed in with the caulking around the tub and can not be removed by scrubbing.
I am planning on bringing this up with my landlady, but she lives offsite and tends to drag her feet on maintenance. The black stuff is not pleasant to look at, but it really does not bother me much (I am only living here until the summer). My question is: Is this some kind of toxic black mold that is going to kill me if I have to breathe it in with every shower I take for the next 6 months? If so, I will need to really get after the landlady and get her to do something about it. If not, I will bring it to her attention but I won't be overly stressed if nothing happens right away.
Thanks in advance for your responses.
- posted 4 years ago