Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Whether there are functional differences is always the question, but in practical terms it's unlikely as that kind of retooling for a limited production run generally costs more than just continuing to make what was already in production. Changing the color of the plastic and slapping a different label on is one thing, changing the mechanical design is quite another.

I recall reading a review somewhere but now I can't find it.

Of course if you want to play safe, the latest Bosch from Coastal is only about 45 bucks more.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I mean what percentage of the overall share of the market will be theirs

10, 20, ?? years from now? There are more folks here on a percentage basis that buy higher-end than the overall market I think simply owing to the nature of the group. Otoh, it appears to me the purpose of new strategy is to try to make inroads towards the broader segments. That, as I said before, isn't what _I_ would have wanted, but it seems where they're going. They may drive the car completely in the ditch, too, I don't know...

Again, I wish many things were the way they used to be, including casting foundry in McMinnville, but it's a different world...

--

Reply to
dpb

Before. Pentair only starting looking for a buyer after the strategy went very, very bad. The Tool Group, the most profitable part of Pentairs business throughout my tenure, went south in a hurry. Stock dropped to about half its pre consolidation/globalization level losing about a billion bucks of shareholder value.

Public record. Annual reports. Glossy words, but you can't hide the numbers. Also Fortune wrote an article about the disaster, 2000 or

2001. It was very accurate except for the parts that indicated the "current Corporate management had a handle on the fix".

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Why on earth......

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

No, this last change I used an premium aftermarket filter.

Nope, drained the pan first.

Not a big deal, put a container under the catch tray drain. Took one change to learn that.

But it's nice to be able to stand up and see what you're doing. I change my sons filter strictly by feel.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

LOL Or as in my wife's old Acura, feel and burn, jump and bang your knuckles.

Reply to
Leon

Transverse engine, back side of block, up in a pocket? I've never actually seen that spot, just always hope I got the seat clean before putting the new filter on.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

We've discussed this before as well, Frank. Delta isn't only place where changes have occurred, not all to our liking...

--

Reply to
dpb

Yup, that's the location. Hopefully if you get a little dirt in there the filter will get it immediately. I retired from the automotive industry 12 years ago and started in it when I was going to school. I changed lots of oil in cars while working part time. NUMBER 1 rule, look to make sure the filter gasket came off of the engine. Never had a problem with that until, ;~) I did not check the filter on the Acura. I never realized just how fast an engine can pump oil out of the engine when you use 2 gaskets on the oil filter. About 6 seconds as I recall.

Reply to
Leon

I mean why the McMinnville foundry?

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

LOL. Similar experience. While blindly trying to install the new filter, knocked off the gasket. But it didn't fall out. Thought that it had a different feel when I tried to seat the filter hand tight. Cranked up to check for leaks. Oil going everywhere. shut down immediately, massive cleanup followed. Lot's of cussing the filter manufacturer for the cheesy way the gasket was set.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Maybe I'm 'late for the party' - I just saw the heading . . . with only one 'comment'.

Mine is not so much about 'Sears', but the original question.

I care quite a bit where my tools come from . . . and am ruefully aware that 'we' don't seem to 'manufacture' ANYTHING in the US anymore. In another sense it's 'Horses for Courses', and I HATE getting 'Ripped Off'.

NO, my 'rant' isn't about 'cheap goods' - it's about those 'Old Line', well-recognized named ones that push their historical 'high quality' image. While the 'image' is portrayed by the Logo, the 'fine print' {usually hidden on the bottom, back of the packaging . . . says 'Made in China'.

If I need a SPECIFIC tool, for a 'one-time' use, it's financially foolish to get one of the 'Lifetime Quality' cost. {Agreed - there are exceptions}. Similarly, if you know a certain tool will not be 'worn out' but 'beat to death' by the environment of it's use - think of it as a 'semi-consumable' . . . like specialized sanding 'disks'. So, Yes - I do buy from Harbor Freight, knowing the stuff is typically 'Made in China', and of lower quality. BUT the cost is equally LOW - especially if I use the SALES.

While I do feel twinges of guilt, I know what is going on - from the start. What REALLY P****S me off is going into either one of the few hardware stores, or the huge 'Emporiums', and looking at the racks of 'High Quality, High Price, 'All-American' Brand's, and seeing that fine print. I can put the two items side-by-side and in many cases they are IDENTICAL !! In most the only MATERIAL difference is in 'final finish / polish' and color. The PRICE difference can be a factor of 10x !!

You can't blame the Chinese for THAT !!

{Rant . . Off}

Regards & Thanks {for the soapbox - aga> Bob the Tomato wrote:

think Sears was ever "The Best". In many cases, Sears was simply the only game in town.

Reply to
Ron Magen

[...]

That brought back a dim memory... when I was a kid, I got some kind of little toy out of a gumball machine and it broke.. I asked my dad if he could fix it and he said "nope, it's potmetal.. must be made in Japan".. Not sure if there really is something called pot metal, but I've always remembered him saying that..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

As I understand it, the US automakers thought that as long as they changed the size and shape of the tail fins every few years, people would continue to want and buy the "latest model".. The Japanese spend a couple of million bucks (a huge amount at that time) doing market research and found that what a large amount of the folks that were interviewed in the US wanted was an affordable car the was reliable and didn't cost a lot to run... 180 degrees from the Detroit marketing plan.. Look at the cars today (ok, except for the suv/yuppie assault vehicle) an it's kind of easy to see who was right..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Exactly.. if business was going to do well in any regime, it would be repub's..

Business are going to do business no matter which figurehead is in power... That's what business is, right?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Hang on, Charlie... you're replying to someone that replied to MY post..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

for sure... and had a good guarantee..

But afaik, Sears/Craftsman has never made their own tools... Just takes the best bid like any other business would/wood..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

You sure see a lot of old Craftsman table and radial arm saws that still work.. I've got 2 craftsman routers that are older than some folks in this group and you can't kill the damn things... No idea who made them, though.. The older one actually says "Made in USA"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I guess my nose is too old to tell the difference... I tried a HF biscuit jointer to see if that was a tool worth adding.. when made a few things with it and realized that biscuits were a good thing, I bought the Dewalt one with the craftsman name on it..

It's been working great for years but just to be safe I better get a neighbor or someone to smell it..