Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

So if someone makes a law saying you have to eat two servings of pickeled pigs' feet per day, you should obey because you know the law?

My father loved 'em. They make me puke. That kind of force is wrong.

Reply to
Charlie Self

It's hard to buy what is not available.

Reply to
Charlie Self

That's because Americans don't really like disesl. It's like looking at the car market in the UK and Europe compared to the US. There are tons of really nice, extremely gas-efficient cars made in Europe but because they're not the size of a schoolbus, Americans won't drive them. We bitch about gas heading for $5 a gallon, but we won't give up our gas-guzzling SUVs. Go figure.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

> In my last half dozen trips to the store they did not have them. > Only

> I see, however, they offer them on the web. Either they are brought > back or

the five stores nearest me only one lists that particular wrench as being in stock. On the other hand three out of the five list the set as being in stock (one store doesn't have online inventory). If you only need one, looking at the set will tell you if they're what you need then you can order the one you want and if you have it delivered to the store you save shipping.

Once you've got it up on the site, click the "pick up" button and enter your zip code then "check availability" and the site will tell you if it's in stock anywhere near you and if so where--that system is not completely reliable--if the store's inventory is screwed up then so is the online inventory--but it's usually right. Can save a trip if it's not in the store and if there's more than one Sears near you then it lets you go to the one that has it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yup, I know - I was with them for 23 years (as a result of an acquisition) until they divested themselves of the group I worked for in

1998. The new owners decided they didn't need any (over 50 yr/old) geezers, so I managed to get my severance from Moto before they completed the dump. I'm not so sure the "transition" is complete as there are acquisitions and divestitures going on constantly at Moto. As one of my co-workers used to say "This is a great place to work - there's a going away party every Friday" ;-)
Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Interesting... and just when I was looking to pick up a replacement, too. Anybody have experience with the Triton jigsaws? Is the Sears version simply a rebadged OEM unit, or are there functional differences?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Agreed. I've currently got a 10" Craftsman Industrial tablesaw, and a friend has the early production Orion hybrid I used to have. Both are excellent tools. I've also got a refurb 15" planer, which is very good. I need to look at the new bandsaws. Currently, a Steel City 16" draws my praise...it is Taiwanese, I think, and very, very well made. Trunnions are cast iron (not always the case in bandsaws under 20") and all is well made.

As a general statement, I think there has been a basic upgrading of quality in the past two decades, with more and more woodworkers demanding better tools. A lot of the perceived faults we bitch about these days might have been overlooked in the '70s, '80s and maybe even into the '90s. Not today.

Yes, some Chinese/Taiwanese tools are junk, evennow, regardless of the name on the tool, but an awful lot of that is the fault of the company providing the specs and inspections. For example, 17-18-19 years ago, any framing nailer cost upwards of $375, often way upwards. Today, a decent brand name framing nailer may be had for well under $250. Why? IMO, a large part of the credit goes to Porter-Cable, which started getting decent production out of Taiwan by the simple matter of sending an inspector over there, full time as I was told, with the authority to reject anything that didn't meet standards.

I also don't have a real problem with Harbor Freight tools. They are cheaply made, but they are also sold cheap. There's not a whole lot of BS and artifice in their sales techniques. You pay 25 bucks for a biscuit joiner, and you get a 25 buck (or close to it) biscuit joiner, but you have no right to expect anything else, and HF doesn't tell you you should.

Reply to
Charlie Self

It's certainly more suggestive of quality than "Made in China".

Reply to
Doug Miller

Please, this goes way past the last 6 3/4 years. I know lots of folks like the mantra, "It's Bush's fault", but let's be reasonable and recognize that this problem has been going on for quite some time, with roots as far back as the 50's and 60's. I'm not old enough to remember, but have had mentors tell me about purchasing appliances or cars in that era. The US manufacturers considered themselves to be the only game in town and really pretty much didn't give a rip about the opinions or needs of consumers. You also had organized labor applying extortionist demands on those industries, forcing deeper and larger concessions -- the bill for which is coming due even now. The bottom line here is greed and has been practiced by both sides of this issue, labor and management.

One of the pieces of good news regarding the lowered value of the dollar is that it is now making US goods attractive on the world market again. Spoke with someone this morning who is involved in commercial aerospace components -- they are seeing an upswing in foreign sales opportunities.

... snip

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Sorry, Mac. As much as I dislike Bush, and his bunch of vicious clowns, this has been going on for FAR longer than he's been a power in national politics. We might start by blaming Nixon who opened up modern China to trade. Or go way back and blame, lessee, nearly 60 eyar old history, Commodore Peary for opening up Japan, which eventually led the way into the rest of Asia. This one has no political ties of any real importance, though the past seven years might have seen a bit of a speed boost.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Got to drive the then new Tundra in September of '06 at a press conference. That one was immense, had the immense gas V8, and the power was almost frightening. No quality comments apply, as the interior trim and other bits were not yet set, but it pulled like a train. They did announce, in response to questions, that a diesel would be forthcoming in a year or two, but gave no details at all.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Not all Triton tools are Australian made. The much admired Triton router is made in China.

Reply to
Leon

I understand the new diesels will have to have Urea introduced to help cut down on the pollution. Urea? Apparently the dealer will have to fill that tank periodically. Honda is coming out with a diesel that will not need the Urea to pass the emission tests.

The biggest discomfort of my older 97 and the new 07 GMC and Chevy vehicles was and are the back seats. You have to like setting in a back seat that forces a right angle seating position and a seat back that is perpendicular to the ground to call the back seat comfortable. As with my older Silverado the fronts seats were acceptable.

Reply to
Leon

Do you remember when people would complain about a body rattle in a pickup, and be told "It's a pickup truck, who cares?"

_All_ vehicles are better than they were 20 years ago.

Thank Toyota and Nissan.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

There's a word for that: Arrogance. I dealt with a product 20+ years ago. The producers of that product 'Corp X' didn't think I was important enough to be dealt with on the same basis as their 'bigger' accounts. I didn't get the price-breaks, I had to pay for freight, while their 'bigger' accounts were getting wined and dined. That was all to be expected....up to a point. Then, when the 'off-shore' boys got into the game, and even one Texas company, I was treated like I was going to be a player in my territory. They helped me with samples, gave me price breaks on quantity orders..IOW.. they did all the things that the other company simply didn't have time for.

I wasn't the only fabricator who got sick and tired of feeling like I was 'bothering' them when I placed an order with CorpX.

All of a sudden, CorpX headquarters realised that sales were dropping all over the place. They lost massive market share. They tried everything. Intimidation, bullying, starting rumours, lying about the quality of their competitors...and it just made me and my fellow fabricators more and more resolved to beat the big guys who danced to Corp X's fiddle. Guess what? "We have a whole new attitude" (After a few of the big guys went belly up because of the onslaught of eStone etc) Now they are all over us, giving us stuff, trying to get back the 80% of the market share they lost. Now, they are arrogant in a different way. They think we don't see through their schemes. They think we're stupid.

Now, if a woman cheats on you...will you ever trust her again? Or will you save the nice presents for your mistress?

...waitasec... that didn't come out right...but I had already hit the 'send' button...

Reply to
Robatoy

I have a "little" Tacoma, which had no problem towing a 5000 lb. Volvo fro Westchester airport to Meriden, CT a few weeks back.

Did I mention the oil filter is on top of the engine?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

No, if the law says that if you scratch your balls in public you have to eat two servings of pickled pigs feet you shouldn't scratch your balls in public unless you are willing to eat two servings of pickled pigs feet.

It's not a case of being forced to do something with no antecedent, it's a case of one act being the consequence of another.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Can't you just pee in it??

Reply to
Doug Miller

The biggest problem with Diesel in the US is passing the latest emission standards. I have heard that many will have to use Urea injected some where in the process and that is obtained from the dealer.

Reply to
Leon

Where it belongs. Oh, how I hate changing oil on an engine with a filter mounted open end up. What ever made anyone think that was a good idea?

Reply to
Doug Miller